Hampton Man Crush: Chaka Diarrassouba

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We had the privilege of chatting with this week’s Hampton Man Crush, Chaka Diarrassouba, and ladies you are in for a treat! Chaka is a history major from Atlanta, Georgia. When he is not studying you can catch him playing on the football field, hosting panels for the Muslim Student Association, and representing the Gamma Epsilon chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. We covered topics ranging from gun violence to love life.

HC: Have you ever been in love?

CD: Yes, I have been in love before. It’s an interesting feeling, kind of indescribable. I feel as if a lot of people can’t find the words to explain the feeling, you just know when you feel it.

HC: Sounds deep. Now, to switch gears, what is your current view on Donald Trump and his Presidency?

CD: Honestly, I believe Trump is probably the worst thing to happen to this country. I believe everything that he does is based off of reactions from social media and press. He hasn’t done anything to better the country. But, what I do have to say is that he is still in office, and as citizens, we don’t have to agree but we do have to continue to be lawful because he still is our leader.  

HC: That’s a fair statement. Staying on the same topic of politics, last week we wrote about the topic of gun control. Now, as a young black man, how does it make you feel knowing that these laws are ultimately in the hands of President Trump?

CD: When I was growing up I lived next to a police officer and he was, and still is, a very influential person in my life today. He always told me that as young, black men, we have to be careful out there because some officers these days are trained to shoot first and ask questions later. I believe that the safety of our black men in America should be taken seriously.

HC: So, that’s awesome you had someone like your neighbor to look out for you and give you advice. As an influence to younger black men that also aspire to be student-athletes, what is your advice to them? What helps you to balance the two?

CD: I would definitely have to say prayer. I am a very religious person. Since I was young, my mother always reminded me of the importance of my religion, I’m Muslim. So, every time I play and get into my zone, I usually pray to God and if I ask him for something, I know for sure he will give me what I need when he is ready.

HC: That’s great! Speaking of the women in your life, how would you spoil your girl?

CD: I would give her anything she wants. ANYTHING. That’s the type of person I am. My father, he loved my mother. Unfortunately, he passed away, but he has always loved her and I’ve just seen how he took care of her. That’s what I plan to do for my girl. I’ll pay all the bills, take her out twice a week, whatever she wants.

HC: This is exactly why you are the perfect fit for our  Hampton Man Crush! On the same topic, can you cook? If so, what’s your favorite meal to cook for your girl?

CD: I can cook African dishes, I’m African, my parents are from Ivory Coast, West Africa. I would say as far as African dishes, fried plantains. I can’t really cook any American dishes that well.

HD: Hey that’s alright, plantains sound great! Lastly, what is a deal breaker for you in a relationship?

CD:  You have to have a sense of humor. That’s just the type of person I am. I can be serious, but I can also be very goofy at times. So a deal breaker for me would be if you have a really stern and serious personality. I play around a lot.

What do you think ladies? I don’t know sounds like Chaka is husband material! To see more of Chaka follow him on Instagram: @shock_007 Twitter: @chaka2014C

Jasmine Kromah is a second year, strategic communications student from Charlotte, NC. She currently attends Hampton University.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.