Hampton Homecoming in a Nutshell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The time has come for the legendary Hampton University Homecoming. Hampton’s Homecoming is very historical in many ways, and acclaimed in others. Whether it’s the Bazaar, the Greek organizations’ stepping at 12-2 (noon party on Fridays), or the parties; Hampton’s students and alumni have a good time during this occasion.          

Not only is Hampton known for its great academic standing, it is also known for its beautiful and smart black men and women. These students are making the grades and dressing the part at the same time.  For instance, the ladies of Hampton are often ridiculed because “come rain or snow” Hampton women will inevitably strut to class with their high heels on and make-up on fleek. Homecoming is no different; it’s just a time to take it up a notch in the fashion department.                       

According to Justice Turner, a senior and Class Vice President, Sports Management major from Missouri, “everyone gets new outfits for homecoming; it’s ‘dress to impress’ like the first day of high school.” Justice is completely right; students want to make the right impressions, especially during Homecoming. I recall last year on Monday, the first day of homecoming, I wore a casual outfit — mainly because I hate Mondays.  However, everyone else was “dressed to impress.” To a friend, I inquired as to why everyone around me was so dressed up, and she responded: “Girl, it’s Homecoming.  Everyday is like a 12-2.”  It was then I knew the value placed on dressing up during Homecoming week.  I won’t make that mistake again!

Another perspective came from fellow sophomore Arielle Wallace, who is a Journalism major from Detroit, Michigan. She said, “I think everyone is cute, but we all seem to look the same.” Arielle is absolutely right. Everyone tries to be so different and dress up during Homecoming, that we all seem to look the same. I don’t think there is anything wrong with looking the same if we all look good, and we do.

Basically, Hampton students enjoy doing well in the classroom and dressing well on ANY day, especially during the days of Homecoming. They will sacrifice a lot to look good.  And many will be inspired by their inner Beyonce and Kanye voices to come out and impress during a very special time: Hampton’s homecoming.

Taylor White, a Public Relations major, Matketing minor from Aurora, Il.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.