absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hampton Homecoming… It’s Just Different

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

In High School, when I first came to Hampton on a college tour, I asked the SRT guide about things to do outside of academics. What I was really asking was, ‘Is this school lit?’ but I couldn’t really say that as I was walking around with my parents. My tour guide eventually caught my drift and said “we make our own fun.”

I thought she was just saying that to ease the nerves of my parents from the thought of potentially sending their child to a party school; but, she wasn’t lying. Hampton isn’t a lively city, we’re not in a highly populated city with excitement around every corner. Don’t get me wrong, Hampton, VA has some pretty cool things to do, but I don’t think people consider it “lit”.

Fast forward to when my first Homecoming came around, I was shocked to see how many Hamptonians hated on our own Homecoming. I thought we would have more excitement, but all I heard were complaints before it even started. 

I think as students here, we have to realize that Hampton is just different. That’s in all aspects, but especially Homecoming. We should have more pride in our school and not compare it to other Homecomings. Hampton students are known for making the best out of all situations and making something out of nothing, that’s what makes us, The Real HU! 

We can take a cancelled concert and turn it into a block party- we can take the students’ talents and make them feel like celebrities – we can start a party at the waterfront with one small speaker – we can turn rainy depressing days into lit 12-2s with moves before and after- we can support each other through every obstacle thrown at us. 

We’re The Real HU because we celebrate the little moments and we celebrate them well. We just need to transfer that energy into our Homecomings every year and take pride in our unique Homecoming experience. We should definitely have high expectations but always remember that Homecoming is what WE make it, so let’s make it lit! 

Jala Tucker

Hampton U '21

Jala Tucker is a junior from Baltimore, Maryland, currently enrolled at Hampton University. She is a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Leadership Studies on the Presidential Scholarship which places her in the University’s Honors Program. At Hampton University she is a member of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute as well as the Student Leadership Program. Volunteering at places such as the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation and interning at the Maryland State Department of Education has enhanced her passion for improving social and political issues through communication. With her degree she hopes to get her Masters in Public Policy, explore the Public Relations and Communications world.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!