Halloween Costumes for Black Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It is that spooky time of time of the year again. Everyone is out looking for Halloween costumes and moves. What better way to enjoy these Halloween festivities than with your boo; whether y’all go to a party, trick or treating, dinner, or just simply have a photoshoot. Halloween is the night role play. Here is a list of Halloween costumes that Black couples could rock, both DIY costumes and ones that can be purchased.

Barack Obama and Michelle Obama

Are you going for that classy look? This is your answer. All you have to do is recreate one of their infamous pictures surfing the internet and find something in both of your closets, and there you go!

Lucky (Tupac) and Justice (Janet Jackson) from Poetic Justice

Everyone has seen Poetic Justice (if you have not, go ahead and remove your Black card). Their love story is a one of a kind and has everyone rooting for them to be together in the end. The guy can wear either an olive green hoodie with a black hat backward and jeans, or a white baseball jersey with a black hat backward and jeans, or even a post office shirt and hat with khaki shorts. The female can wear a navy blue or black crop top with, high waist jeans, black belt, and an apple/cabbie hat or something that looks similar. If you really want to get into character throw some big poetic justice braids in.

Monica and Quincy from Love and Basketball

This is such a classic movie. I’m sure everyone has been a little teary-eyed while watching this movie. The classic picture everyone thinks about when deciding to dress up as them is the end scene which is also the DVD cover picture. This can easily be created; the boyfriend can wear basketball shorts, a basketball jersey, and sneakers. The girlfriend can wear a sports bra, basketball shorts, sneakers and her hair back in a ponytail. Of course, add a basketball as an accessory. Take a picture like they did and y’all will definitely nail this costume.

Cop and Robber

I know we all remember Lil Wayne’s song Mrs.Officer. “Doing a buck in the latest drop I got stopped by a lady cop.” This is a sexy costume that you and your significant other can pull off. Best way to pull this off is to have the female be the sexy cop and the male be the robber. Some pieces can be found in your closet and others at party city depending on how extravagant you want to be. Every bad guy needs his good girl ladies. He stole your heart now you have to lock him up and throw away the key.

Doctor and Nurse

Party City or other costume stores are the best places to find this particular costume. In college, Halloween is all about being sexy and showing some skin on a cold scary night. So do not be the boring nurse all covered up, show those brown legs and let your man know what he has. You could also switch it up and do nurse and patient. Ladies have the medicine your man needs.

Mia is funny, creative, and caring. She is a Junior Marketing Major at Hampton University from Charlotte, North Carolina. One of her favorite things to do is eat, eat, eat. Little girl big girl appetite. She also enjoys watching all the ratchet and drama filled "reality" shows. Mia enjoys being surrounded by friends and family. She is a great listener and advice giver. She lives by the motto what is for you will be for you, and that God always has a plan for you no matter how down and out you may be, so trust in him and the purpose he has laid out for you. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.