Growing Up a Military Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

In spite of Military appreciation week, I wanted to touch on my personal story with growing up as a Military child. I was born on a military base in Honolulu, Hawaii, to two loving parents who served in the Air Force. Both my mom and dad served for roughly over 20 years and are proud Veterans. Even though they retired in my childhood years, I still have many memories and stories that other military children can relate to.

The thing I remembered most was constantly moving around from state to state. At the time I didn’t mind it because I’ve always enjoyed going to new places, but having to switch schools and make new friends wasn’t always fun; luckily I learned to adjust quick. The downside to living in all these different states was being far away from family. I didn’t have a grandma who lived down the street or cousins around who I could spend the weekend with. With that being said, I always looked forward to the holiday season because I knew I was going to see at least a few relatives around Christmas time.

When I was about 7 or 8 my dad was sent to work in Kuwait (about 30 miles from Iraq) during the time of the war. For one year it was just my mom, my brother and I in the house. All the responsibility was on her, and she had to play both roles. My dad missed out on class performances, birthdays, and dance recitals, but I knew he was only a phone call away. Having great neighborhood support was a blessing, they were always there to lend a hand whether it was helping my mom cut the grass or even entertaining my younger brother and I when my mom needed a break. I’m grateful for the many years my parents served, but I can also say it was great to be able to attend their retirement ceremonies and see them be acknowledged for all their hard work and achievements while serving in the Air Force.

I never once complained about whatever new situation I was put in because I knew my parents were serving their country. Over the years I have gained a greater appreciation for Veterans Day because I have many grandparents, aunts, uncles, and now cousins who have served in the armed forces. There was a time when African American men and women were not acknowledged or thanked when fighting for our country so I’m glad the country now has a greater appreciation for people of color. I want to personally thank all the veterans and active duty serving today. They’ve sacrificed so much to protect our country. Many parents put their lives on the line every day to protect us from harm’s way. I am definitely a proud military child and want to wish all the men and women who have served a Happy Veterans Day!

Kelsey Crimiel is a Junior strategic communications major, marketing minor from northern Virginia. She is very active on campus, and serves as a YouTube correspondent for Her Campus HamptonU. Kelsey is also a College Girls Inc. ambassador, a member of the junior class executive council, and a member of Q.U.E.E.N. mentoring program. She hopes to one day work in the music industry as a Publicist and Event Coordinator.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.