Greek of the Week: Symonne Stryjewski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Her Campus had a chance to speak with this Pretty Poodle, Symonne Stryjewski. Not only is she heavily involved on Hampton’s campus, but she devotes her time as a fourth year Architecture major from Stone Mountain, Georgia. Symmone is also a Spring 2016 initiate of the Zeta Xi Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

HC: What made you interested in your organization?

SS: I am Legacy of my aunt but when I did my research I knew that this was the organization for me.  My founders were educators as well as strong women, and there was so much rich history.  

HC: Do you feel as though being Greek has changed some people?

SS: Yes, but good and bad.  It makes you more confident and willing to challenge yourself. You’re not afraid of things you once were.

HC: Do you find that your love life gets in the way of your obligations for your organization?

SS: No because honestly I’m able to manage time very well. Being that I’m an architecture major, I’m up all of hours of the night so I’ve learned to balance.

HC: Do you believe that it’s possible to date another Greek, or are you opposed?

SS: I’m down to date another Greek because we both understand each other’s obligations.  If I happen to be busy he’ll be more understanding, vice versa.

HC: What’s the best part about having line sisters?

SS: It’s amazing. I’m the only child, so having line sisters is great. I love each and every one of them. It’s not always perfect but at the end of the day you know that you’ll have your sisters for life.

HC: Do you feel like people have a different perception of you because you’re Greek?

SS: “Wow, she did it.” was the reaction that many people had, because you hardly see any Architecture majors that are Greek.

HC: What do you feel the role of Black Greek letter organizations are, in the African American community?

SS: It’s very important because we are the future. We’re just a beacon of what we’ve done in the past to what we are now. We’re continually  growing as African American men and women.

HC: Do you believe that the stereotypes about your organization are true?

SS: No I don’t. I believe that when it comes to our numbers, we are about quality, not quantity. It’s what our founders believed in and we stay true to that.

HC: What does sisterhood mean to you?

SS: Sisterhood means everything. Without sisterhood, why are we in a Sorority? I always have my sister’s back and they always have mine.

HC: How do you balance your social life, on top of everything else?

SS: It’s hard because there’s always something happening. However, I didn’t come to Hampton to major in SGRho, but to major in Architecture. That is my first priority and then everything else follows.

HC: Do you think that it’s become more difficult to balance your friendships being that you are Greek now?

SS: Yes, a lot of them think that I’m busy. But my friends understand that I have obligations and I make time for them when I am able to.

HC: Who are you outside of being, Symonne the SGRho?

SS: I am Symonne, the President of the American institute of Architecture Students. I am Symonne the Daughter, the Christian, the friend. I’m really well-rounded, and I don’t lean on my letters to define who I am as the person.

Kennedy Brooks is a Junior Strategic Communications major from Sacramento, California. She enjoys listening to music, chilling on the beach, and eating Thai food. She wants to pursue a career in Public Relations and Marketing with an emphasis in the music industry. Eventually, she hopes to travel the world and embark on new journeys that come her way. A quote that she lives by is, "Consider becoming the type of energy that no matter where you go, or where you are, you always add value to the spaces and lives of those around you."