Greek of the Week: Rashauna David

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

If you haven’t seen Rashauna David around campus then where have you been? Rashauna is heavily involved with a list of organizations under her belt. This girl certainly knows how to keep herself busy! She is a third year, five year MBA student from Washington D.C. She is a Spring 16 initiate and (# 25) of the Gorgeous and Talented Gamma Theta chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Rashauna is a Hoo’Rah Blue Thunder Cheerleader, and a senior team lead in the Leadership Application program in the school of business. Rashauna also spent this summer interning at one of the big 4 accounting firms, KPMG! Can you say #busybee?

HC: What made you interested in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated?

GOW: Well, growing up I was really influenced by a lot of the distinguished AKA’s around me. Whether it was school or church, they all had a profound influence on me. My god mother actually pledged Gamma Theta in Spring of 1984 which really impacted my decision as well. I also really wanted to be a part of a organization that emphasized sisterhood and service, and AKA stood out the most to me in that aspect.

HC: Describe Greek life at HU?

GOW: I think Greek life at Hampton is definitely coming back to what it used to be. We finally have almost all of the Greek fraternities and sororities on campus which is great! It’s now starting to feel like what HBCU Greek life should feel like! I think we (the Greeks) need to just continue to give back to the Hampton community and be role models to the HU student body!

HC: What is your favorite and least favorite aspect of Greek life so far?

GOW: My favorite aspect of Greek life is knowing that I have 45 sisters that I can lean on if I have any problems. If I need advice or just someone to talk to, I can come to my sisters. They have my back through everything, and that to me is the true meaning of sisterhood. My least favorite aspect of Greek life is that there’s always an eye on me. It just pushes me more to be a great example. 

HC: What has been the biggest adjustment since you crossed?

GOW: The biggest adjustment for me has really been my busy schedule. I mean, I’ve always been busy, and in several organizations, but never one as big as Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. I really have to learn how to time manage better and be able to keep my social and academic life in check.

HC: What is one stereotype that you think is true/untrue about your sorority?

GOW: The one stereotype that I think is true about my sorority is that we’re all very attractive, but we’re also very distinguished. We’re not just about looks, we have substance! The one stereotype that I think is untrue about my sorority is that we’re all stuck up and rude. That’s just simply not true! My line sisters are all very approachable and down to earth individuals!

Make sure to follow Rashauna on Instagram: @shauna_11!

Taylor Johnson hails from Los Angeles (Pasadena) California. She is a junior, Broadcast Journalism major with an area of emphasis in Theatre. Some of her favorite pass times are hanging out with friends, eating good food, watching Law & Order SVU and singing her little heart out (in the shower). Taylor aspires to one day be a television personality and to be the main TV correspondent for E! News. She is also an avid writer and hopes to publish her first novel by the time she’s twenty five. If you want to learn more about Taylor you can go to her blog: www.confessionsofatwentysomethingdramaqueensite.wordpress.com OR just follow her on Twitter: _Tay_Jay or Instagram: Taylorgrace_jay