Greek of the Week: Cierra Johnson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Well-rounded, driven, and diligent. These are just a few words to describe our Greek of the Week! Cierra Johnson is a Sophomore, Journalism major from Charlotte, North Carolina and a proud Spring ‘17 initiate of the Rho Alpha Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. Cierra tells us about her hard work and dedication and gives us a look into what it’s like to be a Finer Woman.

HC: Who influenced you?

CJ: I’m a legacy so I have been around sorors such as my mother and her friends all of my life. Their hard work and dedication to the organization influenced me to pursue membership. As well as the values of the organization are values that I hold near and dear to my heart.

HC: How was your transition from being non-Greek to Greek?

CJ: I see it as a challenge for a lot of groups, however, I have made it my priority to remain balanced. I think it’s really important to know where you came from and not switch up so I try my best to maintain my friendship with people who I knew before I was Greek as well as my line sisters.

HC: What’s your favorite thing to do with your line sisters?

CJ: When we’re together all we do is laugh. We genuinely enjoy being around each other. No matter the occasion we’re always able to have fun. I also know that they will always support me in all my endeavors and I love supporting them as well. Biologically, I don’t have any sisters, I only have a brother. To have 11 sisters who always have your back and support you means the world. My sisters are the funniest and most genuine people that I have ever met. I love that we all get to “do life” together now and Zeta brought us together.

HC: How do you feel about the stereotypes that surround your organization?

CJ: They’re not true. I don’t really pay much attention to them honestly. There are stereotypes about all organizations but all that matters is my service to mankind.

HC: Besides Greek life, what are you involved in?

CJ: I’m a part of the Greer Dawson Wilson Student Leadership Training Program, I serve as Co-President of the National Association of Black Journalist (NABJ) , and I am an intern with NASA.

HC: What’s your career goal?

CJ: When I came to school I thought I wanted to be a news anchor but I have been exposed to different roles in the communications industry since I have been at Hampton that interest me. I either want to go to law school or graduate school going to law school or grad school to get my masters in something

HC: Has being Greek made dating more difficult?

CJ: No not necessarily. however; being Greek does bring a lot more attention. I don’t really like a lot of attention, I’m more of a laid-back and chill type of person.

HC: What’s the hardest part about being Greek?

CJ: Time management. Having to figure out how much time to give to my sorority, my studies, friends, extracurricular activities, internship, family, and spiritual life. Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming but I’ve been able to figure out what works best for me over the past couple of months.

HC: What’s one fun fact about yourself?

CJ: In high school, I started playing golf but there wasn’t a girls team so I played with the guys until I was able to start a girls team.

Her Campus Contributor Account 
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.