Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Generational Curses: Have you been cursed by your by your relatives?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

What is a generational curse? 

Hearing the phrase generational curse without knowing the true definition could make you think the absolute worst or that your family has been hexed by witches, which is not the case.

The phrase, “generational curse” has been used for centuries among many different people about families who have the same issue or ‘curse’ within every generation. “A generational curse is believed to be passed down from one generation to another due to rebellion against God. If your family line is marked by divorce, incest, poverty, anger or other ungodly patterns, you’re likely under a generational curse.” Take a moment to reflect on your families’ patterns of behavior and decisions and see if you notice the same issues in your day to day life, if so you may be dealing with a generational curse. 

Should you believe in them? Are they real? Are they only for spiritual people? 

Many people believe that this particular concept could only be the reality for religious individuals, but that is completely false. People fail to realize that no matter your belief system, we are all spiritual beings that adapt to our environment and feed off the energy of our parents, grandparents and so forth. In this sense, it’s easy for everyone to fall into the same patterns as the ones before us, especially if you’ve witnessed the turmoil they dealt with in the present or past. Not only do the decisions that your family makes affect your outcome, but they also affect your perspective or decision-making process. The concept of generational curses stems from the Bible and how certain decisions made could affect the outcome of generations after you. For example, in the Bible, Exodus 20:5 says that children are punished for the sins of their fathers “to the third and fourth generation.” A generational curse is a concept that is easily overlooked because it’s believed to only be directed towards individuals that believe in a higher power, but in truth, it affects us all.

Could a generational curse be broken? 

Individuals that are curious or believes this concept often have the same question, “Can this curse be broken?” The term generational curse may seem a bit intimidating, but it’s not something that can’t be changed or altered. Self-reflection and the desire to improve your well-being is ultimately the first step to breaking a ‘generational curse.’ If you’ve ever noticed yourself making the same wrong decisions or that you’re always in the same predicament than reconsider your perspective and outlook on things. You’re generational curse could be hindering your destiny.

Kayla Truitt

Hampton U '22

I am a second year entrepreneurship major from New Orleans, Louisiana! After college I plan on going to culinary arts school and opening a restaurant.