Finest Freshman: Zakee Simmons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Zakee Simmons is a freshman Audio Production major from Durham, NC and recently became a member of Gentelligence. Zakee shares his passion for music everywhere he goes, as he enjoys writing music, singing, and DJ’ing. You can often find him around campus humming a melody or singing. Ladies, if you love a guy who can sing, Zakee is your guy!

HC: Why did you choose Hampton University?

ZS: Hampton University was the first school that accepted me and I didn’t feel like going through the stage of being overwhelmed to pick one school. I just went with Hampton to eliminate the process.

HC: How has the transition been going from HS to College so far?

ZS: It’s been different. In high school, I always had someone to wake me up, but here it’s difficult waking up at 7 in the morning by yourself and not having someone to wake you up. It’s also a different kind of workload. Everything is on you, you have no help, it’s just you.

HC: How was your first Homecoming?

ZS: My first homecoming was alright, I’m not really a party person. It was cool, the football team won, that’s all I was really anticipating for. I went to Trap Gala and I went to the Race because I had to DJ. it was pretty fun though. I was also the pre-host for the Homecoming Fashion Show.

HC: When did you know that you were musically inclined?

ZS: When I was about 3-years-old, I was at my grandmother’s house and she would always play Michael Jackson and I would always sing or dance to it. Then when I was 5, my god-father taught me how to DJ from there I just stuck with it. Over time I started writing music and singing.

HC: If you could do a collaborate with anyone who would it be?

ZS: I would collaborate with Chris Brown, Brandi, or Beyonce.

HC: What is your favorite song on the Chris Brown’s new album and Why?

ZS: Confidence. Me being a songwriter, I pay attention to the words and how he uses his melodies to get across his point of the song. I thought it was very unique.

HC: Describe your ideal spouse.

ZS: LIKE MY MOMMA! *laughs*, Beautiful, responsible, funny, very caring, generous. Very hard working and passionate about what she does. She has to be a believer in Christ.

HC: Would you consider yourself a ladies man?

ZS: No!

HC: How would you describe your sense of style?

ZS: Different. A lot of people that I know or that I am around don’t dress up a lot, and I dress up just because. Most people would see me and say “What ‘cha got going on?” or “What you about to do?” I’ll say nothing, my styles just different. I wear a lot of blazers, Cole Hanns, different styles of bowties to match either my shirt or my shoes and I always have to wear a watch.

HC: How do you balance staying physically fit now that you are a college student?

ZS: I played football throughout my whole life, so I just continue to work out, go to the gym, do drills on the field. Thursday’s and Friday’s are my weakest days where I don’t have a lot of work or classes so I work out then.

HC: How do you feel about the recent HBCU Homecoming shootings at Norfolk State University?

ZS:  I don’t think anyone deserves to get shot, let alone on a college campus. There’s no one doing badly on a college campus, so why take trouble to a positive place.

HC: What would you like to accomplish during your years at Hampton University?

ZS: I would really love to travel/explore the world and meet different people from all over the world. Make great connections and great friends that’ll hopefully turn into family. I would also like to accomplish hosting and throwing parties.

Be sure to follow on Instagram & Twitter @officialzakee and check out his SoundCloud: Zakee Simmons!

Shiyanna currently attends Hampton University as a sophomore Strategic Communications major with a Marketing minor. She is a very outgoing, energetic, caring individual who aspires to be a Public Relations Specialist, hoping to one day own her own public relations firm. On her free time, she enjoys spending quality time with friends and family, and shopping. Her favorite quote is “No weapon formed against me, shall prosper.” -Isaiah 54:17. For more information contact her at: shiyannar@gmail.com.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.