Fabulous Freshman: Royal Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Her Campus would like to give a royal welcome to Onyx 11’s Miss Freshman Kenya Cumming a first year Political Science major from Aldridge Maryland. This newly crowned queen is ready to begin her reign but before she starts she sat down and gave us an inside scoop.

HC: What made you choose Hampton University?

KC: I am a Double Legacy, both of my parents graduated from Hampton. They brought me to Homecoming every year from a young age which allowed me to feel the love and family atmosphere that Hampton possesses. Attending Honors Visitation Weekend also definitely helped me to make a decision because I met so many amazing people during my weekend stay.

HC: How have you adjusted to dorm life?

KC: I have been adjusting very well, I live in Virginia Cleveland Honors Suites which is a beautiful place to live. The girls on my floor are very sweet and respectful which made the dorm transition smooth.

HC: What woman in your life inspires you and how?

KC: My grandmother is my spiritual anchor! She taught me how to hold onto my faith no matter what comes my way & we pray on the phone together every Sunday.

HC: How did you beat the competition?

KC: My campaign platform “P.U.R.P.O.S.E” was very solid and was different from my competition which made people remember me. At the end of my election speech I sang “Lean on Me” because I love sharing my God given talent with those around me. With me singing that song I was able to stand out a lot more and it made my classmates remember me throughout campaign week.

HC: What made you interested in being a class miss?

KC: My parents planted the seed in my mind and after I did my research and figured out what being Miss Freshman was all about I was determined to obtain the title. I love my class & my university and I am willing to do everything in my power to uphold the excellence.

HC: What are your plans as Miss Freshman?

KC: My ultimate goal is to create a Campus Garden so that the goods grown there can be donated to farmers markets and soup kitchens. Also with the garden being on campus I hope to show the campus’s preschool how plants are grown and how important they are pertaining to our well being. Plans such as class bonding and Women’s History month activities are also in my plan of action for this school year.

Olivia is a Sophomore Strategic Communications major Marketing minor form Staten Island, New York. She loves going out to eat, planning events and giving back to the community. Olivia hopes that through her writing and community outreach that she can positively change a young woman's life even if it is in the smallest way possible.