This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Meet Kemia Bridgewater, a freshman Criminal Justice major on the Pre-Law track from Detroit, Michigan! Kemia currently serves as this year’s Miss Freshman Attendant on the Hampton Royal Court. Keep reading to learn more about Kemia and her thoughts on Black History Month!

Photos by Sara Avery

HC: What are some fun facts about you?

KB: I like to watch international shows— specifically Korean shows, I like to read manga, and I’m ambidextrous!

HC:  Why did you decide to run for Miss Freshman Attendant?

KB: I knew that I wanted to get involved as soon as school started. Therefore, when freshman class elections began within the first few weeks of school, my Big encouraged me to run for Miss Freshman Attendant being that she was also on the court as Miss Junior Attendant. This position was perfect for me because I could positively represent the freshman class. 

HC: When you think of Black History Month, who’s the first person you think of and why?

KB: I would have to say Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. since he embodies Black History Month. He was the most visible spokesperson and leader of the Civil Rights Movement and certain things would not have been possible if it wasn’t for him and many others. 

HC: Describe your style!

KB: Three words: Elegant. Preppy. Chic.

HC: What do you plan on doing with your major?

KB: I plan to take the LSAT before graduation and then attend law school to achieve my long term goal of becoming a lawyer.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about Hampton University?

KB: The waterfront is one of my favorite things here on campus! Back when the weather was a bit warmer, I would sit on one of the benches at the waterfront and write poetry.  

HC: What advice can you give to freshmen who wish to be more involved on campus?

KB: I advise that they keep their eyes and ears open in order to get information about interest meetings for certain clubs and organizations that they may want to partake in. 

HC: Just like our ancestors, who in our generation is making black history? 

KB: I would have to say Beyoncé. In terms of empowerment and someone to look up too, she is just that. Her hard work and tenacity is an inspiration to so many and I am honored to have witnessed everything she has achieved as an African American woman in today’s society.

HC: Who in black history has had the biggest impact on your life?

KB: Charlotte E. Ray because she paved the way for African American women to become lawyers. If it was not for her and many other women before me, I may not have been able to pursue my aspiration of becoming a lawyer.

Thanks to Kemia for the interview and thanks to Sara Avery for the photos! Make sure you follow Kemia on Instagram: @mia._myason

Camille Birdsong is a Her Campus National Writer for the Style section. She writes weekly articles about all things fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and decor. Beyond Her Campus, Camille works as an Associate Producer for CNN Max. She previously worked at NBC News, where she produced heartwarming stories for the TODAY Show audience and viewers nationwide. Camille graduated in 2022 with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Leadership Studies at Hampton University. She was the Director and Line Producer of her university’s newscast and has interned at NBC Nightly News, the TODAY Show and the Weekend TODAY Show. Camille is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and is passionate about sharing community-driven stories. In her downtime, she loves creating content, visiting new cafes, and obsessing over reality dating shows.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!