Domestic Violence Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

To an average person, October is the month home to fall, Halloween, and Breast cancer awareness. October is also home to another big issue that is continuously either downplayed or overlooked, especially in young adults: Domestic Violence Awareness. Domestic violence is abuse in a relationship; this abuse is not just physical but a lot of times it is emotional and mental abuse. While you may not know or hear about it, domestic violence is definitely prevalent on this campus, whether it is happening to a peer now or in the past.

Here are some need to know facts:

• 1 in 3 women have been involved in physical violence with an intimate partner

• 20 people per minute will be abused

• 1 in 5 college students have experienced domestic violence

• Females who are ages 20-24 are at greater risk to experience nonfatal intimate partner violence.

You can read more about domestic violence and find more statistics here: https://www.domesticshelters.org/domestic-violence-articles-information/domestic-abuse-topline-facts-and-statistics#.WeoQra2ZOfQ

Signs of domestic violence may not always be noticeable but every domestic violence case starts with little red flags that eventually build up. An abuser will first gradually start isolating its partner from his or her friends or family. Slowly increasing control is another sign to look out for, an abuser must constantly feel in power. Most of the time physical abuse starts with mental and emotional abuse. For instance, an abuser will start breaking you down little by little and break you down to the point you will not feel like you are not worth it; making most domestic violence victims not fight back or leave. An abuser latches onto your weaknesses, like depression, insecurities, and low self-esteem.

If you notice that you, a friend, family member, or peer is experiencing these signs in his or her relationship your Hampton University family is here to help you. There is always a way out and plenty of help. The student counseling center in Armstrong Slater on the second floor is always available 8:00am-5:00 pm Monday-Friday. You can make appointments in-person or over the phone at (757) 727-5617.

At the end of the month on Tuesday, October 31st in the Student Center Lounge there will be a 3rd Annual Domestic Violence Evening of Art hosted by the OPhiOXVI class. This event is bring awareness to about domestic violence through art and also to collect donations for domestic violence families. Everyone is welcome, wear your purple and come out and support!

Below is a list of other numbers that can be called for help or counseling:

Hampton University Police – (757) 727-5666

Sexual Assault Nurse – (757) 727-5315

Want to make a report – (757) 727-5426  

Domestic Violence Hotline – 1-877-988-5559

Mia is funny, creative, and caring. She is a Junior Marketing Major at Hampton University from Charlotte, North Carolina. One of her favorite things to do is eat, eat, eat. Little girl big girl appetite. She also enjoys watching all the ratchet and drama filled "reality" shows. Mia enjoys being surrounded by friends and family. She is a great listener and advice giver. She lives by the motto what is for you will be for you, and that God always has a plan for you no matter how down and out you may be, so trust in him and the purpose he has laid out for you. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.