This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Our society is obsessed with body shapes and sizes. As societal norms have evolved, so has what we view as beautiful. Celebratory or authority figures have constantly set the bar or standard for what is acceptable. Due to their mass following, it creates a cult like effect where people want to look like them. For example, in the Victorian ages, people heavily relied on face powder and corsets to mimic the style of Queen Elizabeth. Recently, we’ve seen the ideal body shape change and also what people determine as “body goals.” 

While many women have opinions on how they want their body to look, it was interesting to learn how although we may heavily critique each other’s bodies, men might not do the same. 

William Robinson, a senior at Hampton said, while he truly doesn’t care what size or shape his partner has, he only wants her to take care of it. Many males agreed with this statement and expressed how although society puts a big emphasis on shape or size, they just want their partner to be healthy, no matter their size. 

Another interesting topic is why does the ideal body shaping keep changing. In the 90’s the ideal shape was to be slim or skinny. Currently the ideal body shape is curvy or an hourglass figure. When asked if they cared about today’s ideal shape or size, I received a mixed reaction. Tyler Lewis, a graduate of XULA (Xavier University of Louisiana) said, “our perspectives keep changing because what’s beautiful is based on western ideals which constantly change. Personally, I don’t care what shape or size they are, just as long as you’re healthy.” Malachi Randall, a Hampton senior expressed that since he’s into fitness and constantly working out, he’d like his partner to be fit as well. 

Social media has helped to influence what we think is perfect as well. Cropping and editing apps on social media platforms such as Instagram are extremely popular, it allows the user to completely change their body type. TV and social media showcase one specific body type and it has influenced the masses to think it’s the only acceptable shape. 

While you might obsess over what you think of your partner or potential partner, the easiest way to learn is just to simply ask. While the ideal shape might constantly change, it’s important to love and accept your body no matter what it looks like. Your body is yours and yours alone so care for it and no matter what others think or view it as, it is truly only your opinion that matters.

Gabrielle Chenault is a senior journalism major with a concentration in political science from Queens, New York. She is a member of the cross country and track team. She also is the Lifestyle section editor of The Hampton Script, the parliamentarian of North P.A.C and a resident assistant. In her free time, Gabrielle loves to listen to music, travel and try new food from around the world.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.