This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Welcome back to life as a college student! I don’t know about you all, but that summer break went by a little too fast for my liking. Although I spent most of my time working and caring for my beloved new puppy, I definitely needed a break from campus life. Now don’t get me wrong, I missed my Hamptonian family. However, I also missed my family and my life back home. Alright, now enough with the summer. Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty about what to expect this fall. 

Now we all know that college is known for a handful of things. This list can range from a place to network and build your career to partying like your life depends on it. Regarding the academic side of college, I’m pretty sure you’ve heard almost everything you need to know about being successful. On the other hand, your advisors and teachers fail to tell you that you still have the social side of college to acknowledge. Imagine it’s time to experience your first college party, and you have no clue how to navigate the rest of your night. Well, that’s what I’m here to inform you. Never fear; your college party guide is here and ready to spill the tea on some of the things you need to know. 

Your party life starts before you even leave your front door. The worst thing you can do to prepare for a party is to neglect your outfit. If it’s a kickback, you don’t want to put on a fit that screams red carpet. However, if it’s a big party with little to no room, you’re definitely going to want to wear something that you can breathe in. Trust me; you don’t want to be stuck in a tight, uncomfortable outfit for 2-3 hours. Also, I wouldn’t wear those fresh-out-the-box new shoes that you couldn’t wait to throw on. It’ll likely get trampled on 10-15 times throughout the night.

Let’s say you’re going to the party with your girls, guys or whoever is in your circle. My main saying regarding parties is, “If I’m not leaving with who I came with, then we have a problem.” Now in some cases, of course, this saying can be excluded. However, if there was no communication of arriving and exiting arrangements, then there definitely needs to be one before you even exit your vehicle. If you have to throw it back to elementary days when you had the buddy system, by all means, do so.

Another thing to remember before heading to the party is to ensure you eat and stay hydrated throughout the night. It’s going to get really hot really fast, and we don’t need anyone putting their health at risk to have a good time.

Alright, you’ve arrived at the function; it’s time to have some fun! 

Hey, not so fast you still have some basic rules for when you’re finally inside the function. I’m pretty sure that we aren’t oblivious to the many options of beverages they may serve at these functions. All that needs to be said about that is, please be responsible and be very aware of what’s happening around you. It’s essential to protect your person. Meaning if something doesn’t look right, then say something.

When it comes to college parties, they are very different from your typical high school parties. Yes, they are similar in some ways; however, the environments hold their persona. For example, if you’re a shy and reserved person, you would probably start as a wallflower and then slowly migrate to the dance floor once you’re more comfortable. However, you wouldn’t want to be a wallflower the entire night. With college parties, you only get out of it what you put into it. It’s up to you to have a good time and enjoy yourself. 

These aren’t all of the college party tips, but these are just the basics to help you get started. It’s important not to rush anything and to take your time getting acquainted with a new area of your college lifestyle. Most importantly, don’t forget that you’re a student first. Don’t allow your social life to cause you to miss that 8 A.M you may have the next morning.

Well, that’s all for now. I hope that these tips may help you in your future party endeavors!

Dania Flint

Hampton U '24

Dania Flint is a graduating senior, Political Science major on the PreLaw track from Athens, Georgia who attends Hampton University. Some of her passions include dancing, reading, journaling, and spending time with family and friends.