This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Somewhere in America, there is an African-American girl who wakes up everyday, looks at her African-American reflection in the mirror, and tells herself she is Caucasian. No, she’s not one of those Black girls who tries to convince everyone that she’s mixed because her great-great-grandfather’s-next-door-neighbor’s-cousin’s-friend is white. This girl has sincerely brainwashed herself into believing that she’s White. 100% White. Taylor Swift White. White White.

Sixteen year-old Treasure was recently featured on an episode of Dr. Phil in which she explained not only her self-proclaimed Caucasian ethnicity, but also vocalized her hatred for Black people. Treasure’s self-perception is that she is superior to Black people in every aspect including appearance, behavior, and education.

Now, we’ve got plenty of problems here, but I will try my best to address Treasure’s testimony using dictionary definitions. After all, it is evident that I have to dumb myself down a bit for her sake.

Delusional [dih-loo-zhuh-nl]

Adjective

Having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions; maintaining fixed false beliefs even when confronted with facts, usually as a result of mental illness.

“I’m a Caucasian because everything about me is different from an African-American. I have naturally straight hair, my hair isn’t nappy, [and] it doesn’t require weave. My nose is not giant like African Americans’. My lips are perfect; they’re not too big and they’re not too small. They’re just perfect. I don’t have Black people ears, because [Black people ears] are really giant.”

First off, everything about someone can be completely different than the typical African-American, but that doesn’t make them any less Black, and it definitely doesn’t make them Caucasian. That’s like saying a yellow apple is a banana just because it isn’t red like the average apple.

Treasure claimed that her hair was naturally straight, but only showed pictures of herself with flat-ironed hair. Flat-ironed hair is not “naturally straight”, and something tells me that the hair that grows from Treasure’s scalp does not simply grow out already straightened. Also, no hair “requires” weave. Weave is an asset, not a requirement.

Finally, last time I checked, there is no “African-American” prototype. Every African-American does not look the same. I thought that was a premature lesson that everyone learned as toddlers, at the latest. 

Self-Hatred [self ha-tr-id]

Noun

Intense dislike of oneself.

“When it comes to Black people, I think they’re all ugly and [I] have nothing in common with them. I’m different from African-Americans because I’m White…I act and I think like a White person instead of a Black person. I believe that I’m completely and I’m utterly better than them. White people act and think just way more mature[ly] than African-Americans.”

Tell me, how exactly does one know how a White person thinks when they are, in reality, Black? It is impossible to have full knowledge of how someone thinks when you just are…not…them. Enough said.

Prejudice [prej-uh-dis]

Noun

Any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable; unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding an ethnic racial, social, or religious group.

“Black people, they think in a criminal way. When I think about African-Americans, I feel like asking them, ‘What is wrong with [you]?’ They’re really dangerous. If [an] African-American is on the same street as I am, I’ll cross the street to avoid their chaotic, thuggish ways.”

When I reached this point of the episode, I said to myself, “OK, this girl has got to be reading a script.”

I thought that there was no way she could exceed the level of stupidity she had already reached just a few sentences ago, but she proved me wrong.

There are plenty of White people in the world who share this mentality–who think that Black people are indeed, threats, even when we’re minding our business. Just ask “Permit Patty”, the lady who called the cops on an 8 year-old Black girl selling water. The last thing we need is a Black girl calling Black people “dangerous” or insinuating that every Black person walking down the street is a thug.

It’s obvious that Treasure has a couple of screws loose in that poor brain of hers. Since her Dr. Phil episode went viral, Treasure has become a trending topic for all the wrong reasons, provoked outrage among the African-American community, and was even named #DonkeyoftheDay by Charlemagne on Power 105.1 FM’s The Breakfast Club. Her sister, Nina Richards, ignited even more backlash against Treasure by exposing her on Instagram Live, claiming that Treasure and her mother coordinated this hoax to get an all-expense paid trip to Los Angeles to be on Dr. Phil. She also mentioned that Treasure is a middle-school drop-out, so it makes a bit more sense that Treasure has the IQ of a peanut.

Pray [prey]

Verb

To offer a prayer; to speak to God; to hope or wish very much for something to happen.

That’s about all we can do for Treasure, and every blind and deranged nutcase like her.

Ayanna Maxwell

Hampton U '20

Ayanna Maxwell is a graduating senior, strategic communications major at Hampton University. Originally from Baltimore, Maryland, Ayanna chose to attend Hampton because she admired the HBCU experience. A proud Virgo, she shares a birthday with her favorite singer, Beyonce (September 4th). Ayanna is also a Spring 2018 initiate into the Gamma Theta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com