jessica felicio kgv0t4pI1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jessica felicio kgv0t4pI1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion WAP: Promoting Subservience or Dominance?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we all know, our favorite, two top-charting rappers strike again with a #1 on the Hip Hop and R&B charts. Cardi B and Megan thee Stallion serve us some heat as expected, with their surprising new hit, Wet A** P**** (WAP), a cover from “There’s Some Wh*res in this House,” by Baltimore Club artist, DJ Frankski. Both women promote the abrasiveness of their sexual being in this upbeat funky track. As they involve cameos from Normani, Rosalia, and our favorite socialite Kylie Jenner, WAP gives women in America a taste of sexual dominance. Cardi and Megan even make a point to evolve this song around the sexual dominance of women. Some may look at it from a different view, but the more you listen to it, the more it touches on the propaganda of women as a whole. Dominating their sex lives and also being proud of their preference, experience, etc.

Megan and Cardi did that! Both of their vigorous, exotic rap styles combining to create an explosion of female sexual superiority. However, some may find this song slut-shaming just by looking at the video and the lyrics. But listen to the meaning behind the lyrics and the vitriolic, brusque abrasive tone behind it. The tone tells everything plus the lyrics that equal the implied meaning in the song.

As America’s “Hot Girl” Megan states, “I tell him where to put it, never tell him where I’m bout to be,” embraces that she’s not a slave to any male. The savage artist never promotes anything less than emphasizing and exposing your inner “Hot Girl.”I like how artist Cardi B promotes grinding to get on top while still maintaining your sexual appeal. 

These ladies have created a huge ball of the fiery passion of how we as females have control of our bodies and how we choose to use it. Versus since the origin of gangster rap was created where men would constantly degrade the average woman to be subservient… CARDI and THEE STALLION STRIKE BACK. They spoke for many women who were labeled as objects of sexual desires in male rap videos for twenty plus generations. It caught the attention of millions. 

As a whole, they encompassed the nature of this track as women who shamelessly celebrate the desired power of their sex appeal and encourage other women to highlight the natural power they have over their own body and existence as a whole. 

Ariyia Minter

Hampton U '22

Hey, y’all my name is Ariyia Minter and I am currently a rising junior psychology major from San Diego,CA. My hobbies include writing, reading and watching real life documentaries about criminals. Fun fact:I have been to 40 states in the U.S and plan on traveling at least 3 countries before I’m 30!