Life > Experiences

Books About Self Improvement You Should Binge Read This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We are currently in an age of self care routines and wellness days. These routines may include activities such as exercising more, eating hearty meals, or listening to your favorite playlists. While these thing are important factors of the physical side of self care, the mental and emotional side can often be overlooked. What good is a day off if you’re still exhausted when you get back to school or work? In comes the need for self improvement. Self-improvement is defined as the improvement of one’s knowledge, status, or character by one’s own efforts. It is the quest to make ourselves better in any and every facet of life. As college students, the last thing we may want to do is more reading, but here is a list of must read books about self improvement to help you along your journey.

Love in my language” by alexandria elle

In this book Alex dives head first into vulnerability and shares some of her more profound and darker moments that blend with messages of faith, hope and finding her light. This compilation of poetry and narrative essays explore the ins and outs of trials and tribulations, paired with the challenges of success and failure. The pages of “Love in my Language” are full of reminders that peace is never too far away.

The Body Is Not an Apology, Second Edition: The Power of Radical Self-Love” by Sonya Renee Taylor

This book is the direct result of an online movement started in 2011 by Taylor. The mission of the online community is to cultivate radical self-love and body empowerment. It has been a major framework for the then budding body positivity movement. This book will call in to question your views of your own body and challenge how oppressive systems have been put in place to discourage people who don’t fit the standard. Read this book if you want to take a first step into a world of radical acceptance and loosen your relationship with shame and welcome one with liberation

You Are Your Best Thing” by Tarana Burke & Brené Brown

In a beautiful collaboration, Tarana Burke and Dr. Brené Brown bring together a dynamic group of Black writers, organizers, artists, academics, and cultural figures to discuss the topics the two have dedicated their lives to understanding and teaching: vulnerability and shame resilience. Burke who is the founder of the “Me Too” movement contacted Brown in hopes that she would be on board for an easier to grasp book specifically for black women to read and digest. They do that in this collection of essays from various authors who discuss trauma and the black experience with a sense of transparency that allows the words to fully resonate with readers and encourages reflection.

“Your life is already artful-waiting, just waiting for you to make it art”

Toni Morrison

While this is just a short list on books that promote self improvement, there is a vast collection of literature that can be beneficial for guidance on your self improvement journey.

Serenity Smith

Hampton U '24

Hi!! I'm a graduating senior at Hampton University majoring in psychology with a premedical concentration from Prince George’s County, Maryland. I'm passionate about mental health and writing. My most creative outlet is writing poetry, but I have a newfound love of writing articles about topics important to me.