This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

In 2016, it may be hard to believe that there are African American men and women that identify as Republicans.

For decades, many African American voters aligned with the Democratic Party whose progressive politics led to social, political and economic gains for the black community. On the other hand, Republican administrations were known for cutting aid to social programs that help minorities and blocking Civil Rights agendas in the 1960s.

The clear disparities in social platforms between Democrats and Republicans would make it easy for one to believe the idea of a black Republican to be one big anomaly for sure.

However, according to an article on Ben Carson and the history of black conservatism in The Washington Post, 5-11% of African American voters vote or lean Republican while the Democratic Party captured 90% of the votes in the 2012 Presidential Election.

Black conservatives view many liberal politics as crippling to the black community. According to an article on The Root prominent black conservatives blame the Democratic Party for the negative social conditions of black communities today.  

These republicans are often told their political affiliation doesn’t match the color of their skin and face backlash from the African American community.

Crystal Wrights is black conservative. On her blog, ConservativeBlackChick.com, Wright expresses the frustrations that come with her choice in political affiliation.

“People telling me I should be a Democratic because I’m a woman and the color of my skin,” said Wright.

Despite the percentage of black Republican voters, the Republican Party has an issue in winning more of the minority vote. Besides African Americans, high percentages of women, youth, and Latinos vote with the Democratic Party as well.

Nevertheless, no matter your political affiliation, take the opportunity to vote in the 2016 Presidential election. Early voting has started in many states. If you aren’t registered to vote in Virginia, score that absentee ballot from back home.  

Her Campus contributing writer @ the Real HU |Hampton University'18