This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

February is Black History Month. Therefore, with the recent start of the month-long celebration, it is also important to discuss the current lack of Black history teaching throughout schools and the future of Black history teaching for generations to come.

I had the privilege of attending an elementary and middle school that constantly celebrated the achievements of black people throughout its curriculum. By the time I was in the eighth grade, I was well read in life of Dr. Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. I had also seen the entirety of Roots and was able to comment on the depiction of slavery without fear of argument that slavery was in fact a terrible thing. In this safe haven, my school allowed me to learn my history in a nurturing environment, without debate of whether these events were true. I thought everyone had this opportunity to learn about Black history the same way I did. My matriculation to a predominately white high school would prove this hypothesis wrong.

My once quick fast facts about Black history were soon replaced with facts about the European wars and European geography . My freshman year history class focused on Eastern Europe, while my sophomore year history class focused on Western Europe. By my junior year, I can honestly say I had enough of European history. My junior year I took AP United States History. I remember thinking “Finally something other than Europe”.  This class went over history dating back to 1491 to present; with a chapter on slavery, a chapter on the 60’s and the Civil Rights Movement and you guessed it, former President Barack Obama. The history of my people in this country should not be reduced to three subjects. I realized that I was extremely lucky to attend an elementary and middle school that fostered my curiosity of Black history. However, through my thankfulness, I realized other Black children were not lucky as I was. 

As a senior at an historically black university, I have noticed that even Black schools have trouble teaching their students the history of THEIR people. For graduation, I am required to take World History while the class African- American History is only an elective. It is the fault of school systems. My own HBCU could not require all their students to learn about Black history, while students are forced to receive a “C” or higher in a class that briefly goes over the most known subjects of Black history; slavery, the Civil Rights Movement and former President Barack Obama. There should be no reason why Black children should not know the achievements of the Black people before them. While there are people constantly fighting for the education of Black History beyond slavery. There are people who demanding the removal of Black history from their curriculums.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has rejected the proposed nationwide advanced African American studies course, Gov. DeSantis statements have caused outcry among other Americans asking the Florida governor “to prioritize kids and their futures over his political future” said Randi Weingarten, President of the American Federation of Teachers. 

While Black history has become grounds for political warfare. There are still Black students who are ignorant to Black history, while these same student are well-versed in the American revolution, and both World Wars. As a country, the United States has a vast amount of work to do to make sure every student no matter their race knows what Black people have done to make this country what it is today, because Black history is history 

Sydney Broadnax

Hampton U '23

Sydney Broadnax is currently a senior journalism major with an area of concentration in english from Detroit, Michigan. She has been in Hercampus since freshman year of college and is excited to serve as 2022-2023 Editor-In-Chief. She cannot wait to share her love for writing with her Hercampus chapter