This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Budget! Budget! Budget! A word that some believe is usually easier said than done, but in reality budgeting has become something that this generation has accepted with open arms. College students around the world use budgeting to their advantage on a daily basis and although the word tends to have a negative stigma attached to it, balling on a budget in school is more realistic than some may think.

An aspect of enjoying college, besides getting your education (this is debatable), is the social environment. Whether going out with some friends to dinner or finding a spot to play a game of bowling, spending a lot of money can easily occur, especially when you’re caught up in all the exciting festivities. A few budgeting tips can go a long way when trying to find inexpensive activities, restaurants, and even therapeutic shopping to take part in.

One of the most popular ways to budget and finding the best discount for your dollar is groupon. Groupon is a deal-of-the-day service that offers discounted gift certificates that are usable at local and national companies. From restaurants to stores, groupon offers an array of discounts that college students should to take full advantage of. Not only does the website offer discounts, but it also gets college students aware of stores and entertainment spots around them they might not have known before. Entertainment wise, research is always key. Skating rinks and bowling ally’s tend to have specific days during the week when they offer deals and movie theaters offer discounted matinee prices and days designated just for college students. Remember, research is always key!

[ pagebreak ]

Arguably one of the easiest things that college students spend their money on is FOOD. Whether it’s because the café isn’t up to par or they simply just can’t help it, food almost always ends up topping that charts on what students spend most of their money on.  Fast food, restaurants, groceries, and vending machines can all end up being pocket munchers if you don’t think smart. First, look out for restaurants that offer discounts throughout the week. For example, Applebee’s always offers half off discounts on their appetizer menu after 9 pm. A meal that could have easily been 10 dollars is automatically cut in half and saves a lot in the long run. Buffalo Wild Wings also offers a discount on their wings every Tuesday and sales them for 50 cents. Food can be expensive but there are always deals that can be fully taken advantage of!

Homecomings, cabarets, and simply the addiction of shopping takes a toll on everybody’s wallet by the end of each semester. The love of shopping runs deep and can end up running deep in pockets as well, but budgeting while quenching your addiction is not impossible. For my avid online shoppers, there is always some type of deal available. Free shipping goes a long way when trying to avoid extra dollars piling on top of an already filled up shopping cart. Online shopper holidays like Cyber Monday and sporadic surprises like 50% discounts always pop up and require you to always be on the lookout for any discounts. In store shopping always offer some type of deals and they can be found out about through ads in magazines, on television, and other outlets. Although shopping may have our hearts, our wallets should not be a victim to our habits of not looking out for discounts and making smart decisions.

Balling on a budget is very much so possible while in school. Discounts are everywhere and should always be considered, and although they are available, remember that sometimes skipping out on an expensive outing with friends, an unnecessary food run, and an impulsive shopping trip is okay. The first step to balling on a budget is smart spending. Spend smart my friends!