Anna Schultz-Girls Hat Laughing Friends Coral Wall
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

The Art of Surrounding Yourself With Good People

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Freshman year is slowly coming to a close and it has truly been a rollercoaster. Meeting deadlines, studying, clubs, school events, etc were all stressful from time to time; however, the people I surrounded myself with this school year made all those things less stressful. Whether I was stressed or feeling down, the people I surrounded myself with eased those feelings whether it was making me laugh or simply making a tik tok in my spare time. It’s important to befriend people who will uplift you.

For starters, look for people who are as goal-oriented and motivated as you are. Chances are you all will be able to come together to help each other. Finding people who can help you visualize what the future looks like is a must. These are the type of people that you want to continue being with in the future. It is a given that your friends influence your behavior, so why not choose friends who will leave a positive impact? 

When choosing friends, ask yourself whether these people will uplift you or bring you down. Freshman year is about building a foundation for yourself. A strong foundation involves having people who will uplift you and be there for you. During my freshman year, the people I surrounded myself not only uplifted my spirits but also emotionally. I learned to deal with other people’s feelings because everyone goes through things from time to time. Friends who can comfort you and consider your feelings will be an important part of your foundation. 

The reason why freshman year will forever be memorable for me is because I met the people who have seen me at my highs and lows. These are the people that make me laugh the hardest, love the loudest, and smile the widest. I can finally understand why people say college is where you will find your “forever people”. If you feel that the people around you are not right for you, that’s okay; there is nothing wrong with restarting your search. The most important part of picking your friends is knowing yourself. Know what you want in others and what others want in you because a friendship is a balanced relationship. Cherish them. 

Kamiel Beckley

Hampton U '23

Kamiel Beckley is a biochemistry major and leadership studies minor from Louisville, Kentucky. She attends the illustrious Hampton University. Kamiel enjoys traveling and creating. Her goal is to pursue biomedical research while also maintaining her love for writing and art.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!