5 Things You Should Try for Your Next Staycation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

In these times, many people are not in the rush to do too much traveling, and for good reason. With it already being hard to enjoy yourself during this time, it would be completely ridiculous to completely forfeit your vacation. Because of this, there will be a lot of staycations going on this year. A staycation is a vacation spent at home or nearby, and a good way to spend it is doing things you may not usually do or get a chance to do. It is whatever you make it, so make the best of it! There are many things you can do during a staycation, but just in case you get stuck when trying to think of some ideas here are some. 

DIY Spa

Watch Childhood Movies

Nothing creates more of a feeling of nostalgia than watching your favorite childhood movies. It feels good to go back and take a trip down memory lane; think about where you were when you first watched them and how your original thoughts differ from how you  feel now. Sometimes it can be somewhat comical how our tastes have changed over the years. You can pick up your favorite movie snacks and drinks and just have a movie day filled with all the movies you watched when you were younger.

Cooking a Meal from Your Favorite Restaurant 

Alright, hear me out! Why not experience something new during your staycation? I’m sure you’ve probably never tried to make your favorite meal from your favorite restaurant, so why not go ahead and try. Look up the recipe, get your ingredients, and gather your cooking materials and see what happens. Now, if you know you’re  not the best cook you may want to have your back up meal on standby, but this would still be good for you to try. Even if it doesn’t work out the way you thought it would, it will at least make for a memorable experience or a funny story. And, you could even test out your mixologist skills.

Take a Bath While Listening to the Radio

Baths are always relaxing, but why not add a little twist to it. Go drag out that radio you haven’t used in forever, or if you just don’t have one you can just use the radio app on your phone. This is just because since you’re at home anyway why not support your local radio station. You can enjoy your bath with a bath bomb and some bubbles and maybe a little bubbly while you listen to the radio.

Do Nothing

One thing you do during your staycation could be having a whole day dedicated to doing absolutely nothing. This means not answering the phone if you don’t want to, not organizing anything, simply not lifting a finger unless it’s to pull the cover up or further recline your chair. A day like this is great to have every once in a while.

Kierstyn Chambers is a first year English Education Major, from Birmingham, Alabama. She enjoys helping people and making the people around her happy. She plans to become a teacher and try to help low income school systems. She also loves movies and poetry.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.