Career > Her20s

5 Things To Think About When Entering Your 20’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As I slowly approach my 20’s, I’m beginning to realize things that I hadn’t always given much thought to. This is my first introduction to real adulthood, so it’s time to start taking things more seriously. College doesn’t last forever and it’s important to avoid debt and toxic relationships among other common mistakes in your adulthood if you can. 

Here are some things that have come to mind since coming to the realization that I’ll be bidding my teenage years goodbye and entering my 20’s: 

Finances 

This is a BIG one! When you think about it, money is the deciding factor in many adult matters. Money can be make-or-break you when it comes to a home, vehicle, or even education. Do your best to save your money and spend only when necessary to avoid additional debt as time progresses. Also, budget and bargain shopping will become your best friends. 

Relationships 

As you go through different stages in life, you will see that there are many people that you surround yourself with that won’t always be there in the long run. Your 20’s is a perfect time to reflect on who you want to be around versus who is simply taking up space— are the people that I’m surrounding myself with now actually worth being in my future, or are they only fair-weather friends? Are the people that I’m surrounded with now on a path to success, or are they lacking motivation?

Many times, we keep people around us when they’re not actually meant to be in our lives because it’s comfortable. However, you cannot grow when confined to your comfort zone. It may be hurtful to lose these relationships, but cutting off the deadweight will benefit you as you progress in life.

Career

Your 20’s is normally the time where you are either starting your career, or determining what you want to spend the rest of your life doing. Take your 20’s to truly see what works best for you professionally. It’s always great to follow your dreams and pursue your passion, or the fields that closely align with said passion; You do NOT want to spend your younger years in a career you don’t even enjoy. 

Self-Growth & Happiness 

In life, you will forever find new versions of yourself and learn how you have transformed over a period of time. Your 20’s should be dedicated to determining what makes you happy, if you have not already identified it.

Once you define what makes you happy, use it to your advantage and make every moment of your 20’s the best! As you transition from your teenage years to adulthood, it is important to also evaluate your self-growth and see how you have evolved. Was this a good change or a bad one? Take the time to truly understand what has happened so far and how you want to make things better for yourself.

After reflecting on each of these categories, I have a much broader and fresher perspective on life. Not only am I reassured about my future, but I am now able to understand the areas I am strong in and areas I need to be strengthened in at this point in life. Proper reflection on the last few years will allow you to better step into what could be the best or worst years of your life. 

Sherdell Baker

Hampton U '23

Sherdell Baker is an emerging trailblazer in the media industry. Along with her being President (Campus Correspondent) for Her Campus Hampton U, she also writes for her own lifestyle & advice blog and ESSENCE Girls United. Sherdell works to one day be the Editor-in-Chief of a major magazine publication or create her own magazine company and continue to share important stories after she graduates from Hampton University.