CW AAH Hero Concept Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CW AAH Hero Concept Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW

3 Reasons Why You Should Watch The CW’s “All American: Homecoming”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we all know, the new spin-off show “All American: Homecoming” just premiered this Monday on The CW. The show takes place on the fictional HBCU campus of Bringston University following the life of emerging tennis hopeful Simone Hicks, played by Geffri Maya, as she navigates her new reality from leaving her life in Beverly Hills to her new life at her HBCU. We also follow the life of elite baseball player Damon Sims, played by Peyton Alex Smith, as he carries the weight of Bringston’s baseball team on his shoulders. This show allows us to gain insight into what HBCU life is all about and here are 3 reasons why you should watch this show!

AHC101a 0258r?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
The CW

1. Black Representation in Sports

This show allows us to see the two main characters in their pursuit of navigating how they adjust to playing sports that aren’t glorified in the black community as much as other sports. For many black men, they are usually seen either playing basketball or football, but in this show, we have a black male lead, Damon, playing a sport that isn’t glorified as much as those other two sports. We also see a black woman trying to find her way back into the swing of things to become a part of the highly competitive tennis team, having to constantly prove herself to the queen bee of the team and her coach that she deserves a spot on this team. We have two protagonists trying to balance the life of being a student-athlete in a highly competitive world where there aren’t many people of color in their respective sports, and also navigate college life, and academics. They have to consistently strive to be the best, especially at an HBCU, and as the show progresses we can see their different approaches as to how they try to have that balance of being a college student and a student-athlete.

AHC101b 0087r?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
The CW

2. Navigating College Life at An HBCU

In the first episode, we are met with Simone having no one to assist her with moving into her dorm. We see her doing her own thing from the moment she is leaving home to the moment she steps foot into her dorm, then her friends come along and assist her with moving in. Simone is very reserved when it comes to going out and we also see that she is very homesick and desperately wants to reconnect with her life back home, but her friends simply will not let her have a moment to herself and forces her outside to see what college life is really about. Going out and hearing what the move is for the night is all that college is about, especially at an HBCU. It is the perfect time to see what the Greeks are doing or just simply connect with other new people on campus and that is exactly what happens in the first episode. We see Simone and her friends attend a bonfire that the Greek organization, Kappa Epsilon Kappa, is hosting and where everyone is mingling and just having an amazing move-in/first day back party. Life at an HBCU is all about who you meet and the connections you make while doing that you gain knowledge, friends, and have an overall amazing time while navigating college together.

AHC101fg 0005r?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
The CW

3. Black Representation on Screen 

This show is everything that a young black boy or girl needs to have as they are getting ready to go to college or even while they are in college. It not only allows you to see yourself on the screen but also this show allows you to gain insight and perspective on what it is like being at an HBCU and maybe motivate you to go to one. This show allows you to see black excellence all across the screen and serves as a constant reminder that black voices will be seen and heard. “All American: Homecoming” allows you to be in the position of what black student-athletes go through constantly while learning how to balance school work, life, greek life, and their craft. It also shows why HBCUs are needed because they provide a safe space for us, by us, and allow us to be our true authentic selves around each other no matter what part of the country we come from and that is what every character represents on this show. 

The CW’s “All American: Homecoming” is exactly what we need on our screens. This is the perfect insight as to what college is about and will show you the constant relatable instances that college students at HBCUs go through. Champions are made here at Bringston University and we are so excited to tune-in to tonight’s episode of “All American: Homecoming” at 9/8c or stream free tomorrow on the CW App. Tonight’s episode cannot come fast enough and we are can’t wait to see what else is in store for the rest of this series!

Nyla Chenault

Hampton U '23

Hello!! My name is Nyla Chenault, I am a junior strategic communication major from Powder Springs, Georgia. I really like writing poetry and creative writing ever since a young age. I also like to dance and tumble, and have been doing that since I was young as well, competitively and also recreationally. My goals in life are to be a social media representative or work for Instagram, Snapchat, or Youtube. I would also like to be in PR for major companies like Essence, BET, and many other successful companies or agencies. I would like to show my hard-working skills amongst others and be an inspiration to not only black girls but also anyone I come across in life.