What Happened To The Vampire Diaries On Netflix?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We are all gathered here today to say goodbye to one of the best-looking tv brother duos that have graced our screens. Let’s take a moment of silence to honor Damon and Stefan Salvatore. They are also known as the notorious Salvatore brothers from the hit tv series The Vampire Diaries. As of September 4th, 2022, The Vampire Diaries has officially been removed from the Netflix servers. 

As the grieving process begins, let’s take a trip down memory lane back to when it all started.

The Vampire Diaries made its opening debut on September 10th, 2009, on the CW network. With a total of one-hundred and seventy-one episodes that were spread across eight seasons, The Vampire Diaries were able to accomplish the goal of becoming the most watched series on their network. Although their final episode aired on March 10th, 2017, they arrived on Netflix in 2011. 

Many fans of The Vampire Diaries question why the show was removed from Netflix. After many rumors circulated through the media, the confirmation of its removal was announced in August of 2022. Paramount and Warner Bros. did not renew their licensing deal with Netflix. This resulted in the removal of its services from the Netflix servers. The original licensing agreement was signed in 2011 and was renewed for the first time in 2016. However, when the deal expired in 2019, the two networks decided not to renew their agreement. This happens not to be the first time that networks have reclaimed their rights over some of their top rating shows from Netflix. Some other examples include The Office, Friends, Quantico, Saved by the Bell, Mean Girls, and many more.

Although TVD won’t be available on Netflix, you can find all eight seasons on HBO Max and Peacock. Another alternative is if you haven’t already, you should begin watching the run-offs of The Vampire Diaries. These series are called The Originals and Legacies. To complete the whole series of all three productions, I recommend watching The Originals and then beginning watching Legacies. This will allow you to understand the storyline better and answer some fundamental questions that may appear when watching the other two shows.

The film The Originals is more focused on the beginning of the supernatural world you were introduced to in The Vampire Diaries. It dives into the lifestyle of the original vampire family, the Mikaelsons. It embellishes the journey of how they’ve become one of the most powerful and feared families of the supernatural world. The film Legacies is a relatively new series that illustrates the lives of the daughter of Klaus Mikaelson and other children with magical characteristics. This production allows you to experience the many different lives of supernatural students having to work their way through their powers while overcoming many obstacles.

It is now time to say our final goodbyes and let the memories of re-watching the entirety of The Vampire Diaries on Netflix keep us in good spirits. Just remember that this isn’t goodbye forever, but just goodbye for now.   

Dania Flint

Hampton U '24

Dania Flint is a graduating senior, Political Science major on the PreLaw track from Athens, Georgia who attends Hampton University. Some of her passions include dancing, reading, journaling, and spending time with family and friends.