This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

I have written and rewritten the introduction of this article many times. On this, what has to be the 50th time, I finally admit that there are no words to describe 400+ years of unimaginable sorrow and struggle. There are no words to describe how heartbreaking it is to see police officers mercilessly murdering black people in the street and in their beds and then getting away with it. It is with a heavy spirit that I say their names – George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Sean Reed, and many, many more brothers and sisters. We heard your final cries and we will fight for black lives. Here are 10 ways to advocate for the black lives we’ve lost and those of the future generation. 

1. Protest 

At lunch counters, in the middle of streets, and marching across bridges, our predecessors knew the power of protesting and it is only right that we follow in their footsteps. With the coronavirus pandemic plaguing our nation, it is understandable if you prefer to stay indoors and social distance. However, if you do decide to go out and protest follow this safety guide

2. Post 

Posting seems like a passive form of advocacy but believe me, it makes a difference. Right now, the coronavirus pandemic has forced the entire world to pause which means that many of us are glued to our screens. People are going to be on Instagram and Twitter anyway so why not fill the timeline with transformative content? Go live and share your experience at a recent Black Lives Matter protest, post a list of black businesses to buy from, or explain (again) why “All Lives Matter” is an inappropriate and insensitive response to the movement. If our ancestors had social media when they were fighting racism, you better believe they would’ve used it. No, posting isn’t the only thing you should be doing but don’t count it out. We need to fight police brutality from all sides. 

3. Donate 

Send money to George Floyd’s Memorial Fund, Justice for Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery’s Fund, and other victims of police brutality. Also don’t forget to support other initiatives that target systematically racist problems like mass incarceration (donate to The Bail Project). 

4. Create 

This form of advocacy is called being a “storyteller.” If you are an artist of any kind, consider how you can support BLM with your craft. If you’re a graphic designer, make an informational graphic. To reach a large audience you can DM it to companies and influencers who have massive following and urge them to post it! If you are a writer, write something to uplift the heartbroken black community. If you are a dancer, post a moving solo to commemorate these black lives. If you have a talent, it can and should be used for the movement. 

5. Fundraise 

If you’ve already donated, encourage others to do the same! Ask your company or organization to take action and start a fundraiser. If you sell any kind of service or product, donate a percentage of your sales to the Black Lives Matter Global Network Fund

6. Support Black People, Projects, & Businesses 

Read black, eat black, listen black, and shop black. It is not enough to post or protest and then go back to our daily lives. We must create lasting change and to do this, we have to support black communities on a daily basis. Start buying your hair care products from black owned brands like Camille Rose, Miss Jessie’s, and TGIN. Buy your (plant-based) feminine products from The Honey Pot Co. Listen to the Therapy for Black Girls Podcast and for lunch, look up black-owned restaurants in your local area. 

7. Sign Petitions 

Signing petitions takes less than 10 seconds but it makes a huge impact. Stand in solidarity by adding your name to the following petitions: Julius Jones, Justice for George Floyd, Justice for Ahmaud Arbery, Tamir Rice and Breonna Taylor. Of course, these are not the only petitions you should sign but it is definitely a good start! 

8. Organize 

Did you know that the BLM protest in Nashville was organized by six teen girls who met on Twitter? If they’ve taught us anything, it is that we can successfully organize at any age. Rally your most passionate friends together and arrange a protest or start a program to make an impact. 

9. Vote 

Realistically, none of what we are doing will matter if we don’t show up to the polls and put the right people in office. Do your research, register to vote, and then go vote! 

10. Demand Change 

“Protest is best used when it’s part of a strategy that involves escalating tactics that build pressure on targets” – Alicia Garza. Apply pressure to your inner circle by addressing racist remarks immediately, having difficult conversations about race, and holding the people around you accountable. Apply pressure to your job by asking your boss what your place of work is doing or can do to support black lives. Apply pressure to the big companies that you monetarily support by DMing them about their commitment to the movement (or lack thereof). Demand respect for black lives from everyone

Remember: Don’t shame people for their form of advocacy. No form of advocacy is better than the other but also remember this: not one of them can stand alone. Don’t just post or just vote or just create. We need to attack the problem from all sides using every tool at our disposal. 

Stay healthy, stay safe, and say their names. 

Black Lives Matter. 

Cassie Herring

Hampton U '21

Cassie Herring is a graduating Senior English major from Woodbridge, Virginia. She is the current Senior Editor of Hampton University's HC Chapter. She is also a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow and Co-President of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society. In her free time, she can be found writing poetry or listening to R&B. In the future, Cassie plans to earn her PhD and teach the collegiate level to empower the next generation of leaders.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!