yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Why College Students Should Still Trick-or-Treat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Everyone loves candy. Yet, every year, it’s only children who are sent out in droves to collect all of the sugary, cavity-inducing goodies. That hardly seems fair. Why do kids get all the fun? If you ask me, trick-or-treating has the potential to be harmless fun for everyone. Here’s why college students should still be trick-or-treating.

Love of Candy Knows No Age:

It’s like I said, everyone loves candy, but we limit a national holiday centered around free candy to children who can’t even appreciate it properly. Most of us can’t even remember the first few times we trick-or-treated anyways! Let the ones who will appreciate it enjoy it.

Free:

Does this need elaboration? College students flock to anything with the descriptor “free.”

What a Way to Destress:

College is the literal worst, and Halloween falls pretty close to midterms for a bunch of people. When stress gets to be too much, or you’re trying to recover from the past week or two straight of studying, what better way to de-stress then wandering around with your friends in fun costumes getting free candy?

Give a Treat to the Stress Eaters:

How many of us are stress eaters? Too many. If you can get yourself enough candy, you can create a stockpile for yourself to enjoy when you have the stress munchies. It tastes better than eating your third granola bar that day.

Normal Me? I Don’t Know Her:

Costumes mean you get to shed your skin and become whoever you want to be, whether it be crazy, funny, silly or whatever. Getting to be someone who doesn’t have work or exams or stress is another great way to just relax and have fun. So let go of the usual you and be someone entirely new.

No Need For BYOB:

Halloween fun doesn’t mean you have to get smashed at a house party. Whatever your reasons are for not wanting to drink, trick-or-treating could be an excellent alternative for those wanting to stay dry. Besides, there’s no consequences or morning after headaches for trick-or-treating.

Neighbors Are People, Too:

Look. Personally, I couldn’t name a single one of my neighbors. Going door to door could be a great way to meet the people you live near and really get the community invested in an all-age activity. For college students who spend most of their time on campus, meeting your neighbors might help them feel like they belong in the community outside of their university.

So, I say, if you’re feeling up for it, go out and trick-or-treat this Halloween. Chances are, if you’re respectful and put in the effort to dress up, you can probably snag yourself some free candy.

Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University
Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.