This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Wow. He’s done it again.  Our Heavenly Father has blessed our ears again. Harry Styles’s new single was released on November 12th, the same night he hosted Saturday Night Live. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. 

We, the fandom, had known about the single since October 28th when Harry tweeted out: 

“Kiwi walked so Watermelon Sugar could run.” 

That was it. That was the tweet. 

It sent the fandom into a firestorm. We didn’t know when it was coming, where it would be performed. Would it be on the British late night show Jools Holland? Would it be on SNL? A British radio? We didn’t know anything. 

From past experience, we knew the song would be released alongside the first performance he does. This just so happened to be his double duty SNL job. 

As I said, I recommend everyone to watch. Your Harry Styles fanfic dreams will come true! Although maybe not the way you imagined. 

The fans were right, as we always are. ‘Watermelon Sugar’ links were released and quickly deleted early in the day so the clock was ticking. The minute Harry was set to appear on SNL ‘Watermelon Sugar’ was released to the public. Thankfully, the cold open SNL skit had nothing to do with Harry so I wasn’t worried about missing anything. 

It was different to say the least. My first reaction was a little disappointment, not because I didn’t love the song,but because I would hardly say it’s the sister to “Kiwi.” It was far too slow and not as banger-y to be considered a close rhythmic relation. 

However, listening to the lyrics you realize why it is actually a close relation. They’re both about the saucy side of relationships and being with someone. AKA Harry might have been h*rny while writing this song. 

The song itself has a feel-good sound to it, making me want to go back to the summer days and feel the sun on my skin. Despite the dirty lyrics, it’s a good song to walk to when you’re running late. The large trumpet section in the second half of the song brings new life to the song and a new burst of energy. 

Both ‘Lights Up’ and ‘Watermelon Sugar’ are two major indicators that the new album ‘Fine Line’ is going to be amazing. 

If you want to see Harry on his 2020 tour, the tickets are available now and the album is set to release December 13th

The second Harry Styles era has begun and it’s looking better than ever. 

You can listen to ‘Watermelon Sugar’ here 

And ‘Lights Up’ here!

Jo Schmidt

Hamline '21

Just a Marvel nerd trying to survive out there.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University