This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Traveling is an exciting experience full of learning opportunities and new adventures. But since it requires so much effort here’s a list of tips to help make your travels a little easier.

Make a packing list

You don’t want to forget anything important and you will probably forget something if you don’t write everything down.

Pack as light as you can

Using a smaller bag for traveling can help keep your luggage light. You won’t have room for any extra stuff you probably won’t use. Shampoo and conditioner bars are easy to travel with and only take up a small amount of space.

Keep a credit card with you

Life happens and it’s good to keep emergency money with you so you’re not stuck somewhere or need to borrow money.

Carry emergency cash

You may not be able to find an ATM when emergencies happen, so carry a decent amount of cash with you.

Use a map or ask for directions

Getting lost and ending up in the wrong place is significantly worse than looking like a tourist. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from someone trustworthy in a new place.

Keep track of important travel documents

You never know when you will need these documents. Keep track and make copies of them in case they get lost or stolen.

Learn basic phrases in the native language of your travel destination

You don’t need to be fluent in the language but learning phrases like “Hello,” “Goodbye,” and “Have a nice day” will be respectful to the locals.

Try not to eat at a tourist area

If you’re closer to touristy areas or tourist attractions, you will probably pay much more for food and service.

Carry a basic first-aid kit

Packing band-aids and ointments for cuts and scrapes is extremely useful just in case something happens when you travel.

Be open to meeting new people

Introduce yourself to people you meet around town. You might make some great friendships, but be cautious so you don’t fall for any travel scams.

Try new, local food

Be open to the foods offered. If you’re too picky, you might miss out on some new, delicious food.

Take pictures of your luggage

This will make identification mucheasier if your luggage gets lost.

Wear comfortable shoes

You don’t know how you’ll be getting places, so expect a little bit of walking.

Learn how to bargain

Since you’re a foreigner, you’ll probably get charged for the “foreigner price.” Learning to negotiate is the best way to avoid getting played.

Be respectful to locals

Don’t be a disrespectful tourist. You’re going to a new place to visit and learn about new cultures and languages. Locals are willing to help you out so don’t be rude.

These quick tips will make your travels simpler. Make sure to be respectful in a new environment and learn as much as you can!

Student at Hamline University
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University