This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Phoebe Mcgowan marching through the streets at March for Or Lives. Photo courtesy of Phoebe Mcgowan.

On Mar. 24 I was able to attend my first ever march, the March for Our Lives, in Milwaukee which protested gun violence and demanded gun reform. This included passing a law to ban assault weapons, stopping the sale of high-capacity magazines, and implementing laws that require background checks on all gun purchases, including online and at gun shows. The survivors of the Parkland shooting have been a force to be reckoned with, inspiring thousands to take action along with them. With such an important message to send, it’s imperative that you are prepared when you go to a march such as this one. Unfortunately, the night before the march I had to take care of my sick boyfriend until early morning, not giving me much time to sleep and be ready for the physical and emotional energy I’d need to walk with the 12,000 other Milwaukee protesters. But I got up anyway, not willing to sleep in when I could be out there fighting for our lives. Here are some tips I definitely would’ve appreciated before attending my first march. 

1. Get enough sleep the night before. Marches require a lot of physical energy, with the standing, holding signs and the actual walking, which can be over a mile. You want to be as refreshed as possible when you’re getting ready to stick it to the man, (or in this case, the NRA).

2. Dress appropriately. It was quite cold and windy in Wisconsin when we marched, and I saw some people who weren’t even wearing coats, let alone gloves, hats, etc. Make sure to wear good walking shoes too. You’ll be more comfortable and focused on the issue, not your frozen fingers.

3. Bring a snack and water. I wasn’t able to have a good breakfast beforehand and was rushing out the door. This is not the time to be low on energy. You don’t want to faint from dehydration while everyone’s walking, that could be extra dangerous!

4. Bring a sign, but opt for small. I brought a large poster from Walgreens and envied those who had ones that could be easily held in one hand. If you’re a little lazy and weak like me, a huge sign is not for you. A small sign with a powerful message will be just as effective.

5. Be patient. There can be a lot of waiting/ standing around, cramped spaces and the walk can be slow depending on how many people are there. It will be difficult, but try to stay positive. Everyone is there with the same purpose and goal in mind, so try to feel the connectedness.

6. Make sure to take your own pictures, but don’t get sucked into your phone. The point is the physical space everyone has created together, so be present.

Remember not to stop your action at the march. Get involved, call your senators and most importantly… VOTE! Our voices contain so much power, and we must use them if we’re going to enact change! Don’t worry if you can’t go to a march if you feel too anxious or afraid to. These events definitely run the risk of becoming dangerous, and you should always have an exit plan and be aware. There are plenty of other ways to be apart of the movement: donate, share, educate yourself.. just do something! You don’t want to take a back seat during this turning point in history.

My mom, Beth McGowan, with her sign at the March for Our Lives in Milwaukee. She stapled two signs together and put a yardstick in between so she could easily hold it up. Photo by Phoebe Mcgowan.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.