This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

When quarantine began way back in March, everyone was worried about how they were gonna handle all their new free time. Some people wanted to start new crafts, others wanted to veg out until the nightmare was over. Then there was the select few, which turned out to be a ton of people, who turned to Nintendo’s newest game console; the Switch. Especially with the new Switch Lite that came out during late 2019, it gave people budget-friendly consoles. Maybe it was the general appeal of the Switch that brought a flock of people to it, or maybe it was a cult classic game series that was launching just in time for quarantine. Animal Crossing: New Horizons was a new imagining of the classic game for consoles like the Nintendo DS, Wii, and 3DS. Three years since the initial release of the Switch, this game was highly anticipated. 

For me, that was the biggest appeal. The idea of having my own deserted island full of adorable islanders was a major mental getaway. Paired with the array of other amazing Switch games, the Switch was a huge relief. Like many, quarantine triggered my anxiety,  drained me of motivation, and made me feel helpless and alone. Not to mention, I broke my foot and it triggered even more depression and anxiety. When I was stuck in bed and had free time away from stressful homework, the Switch was the only thing that brought me happiness. I named my island ‘Buchanon’ after Bucky Barnes in the Captain America series. Every day I was talking with my villagers, pulling weeds, building museums, and going fishing. Things I could never do with a broken foot! It was a peaceful getaway because nothing could ever go wrong in Buchanon. The most stressful thing in the game was making sure to catch the tarantulas that popped out at night. Okay, just kidding, the most stressful thing was picking out a name. Even now, four island resets later I’m still hesitant on the name FANT4STIC after the Fantastic Four movies. (Can we see a Chris Evans theme emerging here?) 

I’m also not a gamer, so Animal Crossing was a nice way to dip my toes into gaming and it didn’t require any life long skills to be able to play. I did run into some of those issues with games like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Luigi’s Mansion 3. But after a few months of playing, I’ve gotten much better at it. 

Speaking of Zelda, it is the best game on the Switch in my opinion. The open story lets you roam about and do whatever you want. Whether it’s side quests, fighting terrifying monsters, or talking with the best character in the game Beedle, there’s always something to do. Within the storyline of the game, it’s a massive and long process that brought me the best kind of stress. 

The biggest problem I’ve had with the Switch was getting my hands on one in the first place. Originally I bought the smaller Switch Lite in the new pink color. It was nice in the beginning, but the appeal of the regular Switch was still calling my name. One problem: they were sold out EVERYWHERE. And being the stubborn fan that I am, I only wanted the limited edition Animal Crossing Switch. So, I may have sold my soul to get one…and am now, agonizing over the fact that they are now in stock everywhere at retail price. It’s fine. Sigh… 

Overall, the Switch may have been the best thing I’ve ever spent my money on. It has given me a lot of joy and an escape from the hell that has been reality lately. Maybe it’s not for everyone, but all of my friends who jumped on the bandwagon agree that it is an entertaining pastime. . My best friend and I constantly visit each other’s Islands or try to crush each other on Mario Kart. So not only has it been great entertainment, it has been a fun way to connect with my friends who are scattered around the country. If you have been thinking about one, I would save up and treat yourself. It was the best stress relief and the biggest joy I could have had. With positive cases rising and more people staying inside again, now is still the perfect time to buy one!

Jo Schmidt

Hamline '21

Just a Marvel nerd trying to survive out there.
Kat McCullum

Hamline '21

English major with Creative Writing tendencies