This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

With spring in full swing, it’s time to think about revamping outfits for this new warmer, livelier season. Whether you like to thrift, online shop, or visit the mall, there are some fun fashion elements to explore this spring season! Keep reading for some fun ideas about how to spice up your spring wardrobe and bring you joy and confidence!  

Choose Color!

Spring is the perfect time to introduce brighter colors into your outfits, especially pastels. Colors like light pink, pale green, and pale yellow emanate the blossoming that happens in nature. Find happiness when you plan and pick out your outfits by incorporating some color! If you’re feeling bold, try a colored pant with a simple white shirt. A more classic route is light wash jeans and a colorful top. Have fun adding color to your spring clothing!

Photo from Color Hex

Pick a Pattern

Lots of winter clothing can be solid colors, especially sweaters. As the weather warms up, try mixing it up with a fun pattern! Spring is the perfect time for a floral pattern (obviously!) but stripes and polka dots can be really cute as well. Thrift stores are a perfect place to find other funky patterns, especially clothes that were sewn and worn a couple years ago. They can sometimes be a lot more colorful and funky than clothes you would normally buy at Target or elsewhere. Pick a pattern for a statement piece in your outfit and find confidence in your cute spring look.

Dig Out the Skirts

If it’s your jam, spring is the time to pull out your skirts and dresses! Make your look fresh and girly with a skirt above the knee, or rock a more dramatic look with a longer skirt. If it feels too weird to go from jeans and sweaters straight to a dress, transition into it! Wear a sweater with your dress or a white t shirt underneath a spaghetti-strap. These tips can help when crafting an outfit, especially with this next problem…

What if it’s cold?

Here in Minnesota, spring isn’t always perfectly sunny and warm. But just because the weather isn’t embracing spring doesn’t mean you can’t! During transition seasons like spring, layers are your best friend. If you want to wear a cute tank top or short sleeve, try layering it on top of a basic long sleeve or turtleneck. Additionally, you could work a cute cardigan or jacket into your outfit as well. As far as dresses, try wearing tights underneath to keep your legs warm. Shoes can also be a problem, as it is too cold for sandals but too warm for boots. Sneakers are always a classic during springtime, but there are other options too! A slightly open shoe, like a flat, can give you the style you want but still keep your feet warm.

Spring can be an exciting time to find joy in the outfits you can put together. Work together with your closets colors, patterns, and fun pieces to craft looks that emanate the freshness of springtime. But don’t forget––it’s not summer yet. Though it may be tempting to whip out all your warm weather clothing, embrace this fun transition season before jumping into the heat of summer. Happy spring!

Emma Harrington is a first year at Hamline University studying English and Creative Writing. Besides writing, she enjoys singing in the A Capella Choir, dancing, running, and being outdoors.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University