sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Introvert’s Guide to Getting Out During the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

As an introvert I tend to feel the simultaneous desire to go out and do everything during summer, and not wishing to talk to anyone, because let’s face it my social energy is only good for about five minutes. No fear fellow introverts! I’m here to help.

Don’t be afraid to be alone:

I know I feel like I’m missing out on life when I don’t socialize, but sometimes it’s better to recharge your social battery or if it’s too much to go out with people to just go by yourself. There is nothing wrong with soaking up your own thoughts. Going to a movie, hiking or exploring a new place like a museum can be a great way to spend your summer. You can pick your own pace, you won’t have to feel rushed and you won’t have to worry about what the other person might want to do. Being alone is great especially when you’re an introvert.

Just say yes:

I know every time someone asks me to go out I have to really convince myself that I’ll have more fun doing that then staying in with me, myself and I. During school I can justify saying no to going out because I can say well I’ve been out all day, I don’t need more socialization in my life, but during the summer I take up the resolution of everything is an adventure, just say yes. Someone asks if I want to drive to target with them? Yes. Someone asks to go to a party? Sure, that mass of bodies who will probably talk to me doesn’t sound like hell. Want to go to the art museum? Hell to the yes. If you have the time just say yes without thinking, then your introvert mind won’t have time to form ten billion scenarios of how tiring going out will be.

Find a traveling buddy:

You don’t have to feel like you need to take a large group of friends out to have fun. Find that one person who you feel most comfortable hanging out with and go on an adventure. Finding the right traveling buddy can relieve a lot of stress and hesitation when it comes to socializing.  Also, I know sometimes I feel the want to hang out with a person, but my ability to talk goes out the window. Sometimes just sitting next to someone is all the interaction I want or need. Finding a traveling buddy who is willing to just sit with you is an amazing thing.

Know your limits:

Some days your adventure is just driving around town or going to see a movie. It might be going on a hike or to a museum. No matter what you’re doing remember that you need to take care of yourself and if you need to take a day off and just hang out by yourself then it’s okay, you aren’t missing out. There’s always tomorrow.

Good luck introverts. I hope you have as much fun this summer as I will, and don’t stress out as much as I do about weather you’re socializing enough or not.

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.