This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

It’s finally warming up in the Cities! Whether or not you are fond of the outdoors, springtime is a great time to rediscover the joy that comes from the sunshine and fresh air. Here are some ideas for fun and accessible outdoor activities this spring.

1. Plant Something

Spring is planting season—when gardens are started, flowers are potted and seeds are carefully pressed into the ground. Even if you don’t have a garden, a small flower pot or house plant is a great way to add some greenery and life to your surroundings. Especially if you live in a dorm, try some small indoor plants that are easy to grow to let the spring spirit into your life!

2. Have a Picnic

As the weather warms up and the ground dries out, picnics can be a fun and refreshing way to enjoy food, friends and the outdoors! Choose a sunny, warm day and a nearby park. Horton Park and Newell Park are great options that are close to Hamline’s campus! Grab your friends and prepare some delicious picnic food to enjoy under the sun.  

3. Take a Jog/Walk

Enjoying the outdoors can be as simple as taking a walk or jog. Whether you decide to roam your neighborhood or go to a park or lake, exercising outdoors can have both physical and mental health benefits. Listen to your favorite workout playlist or simply the birds singing in the trees—and it can be even more fun with a friend!

4. Fly a Kite

While this is sometimes considered a children’s activity, flying a kite can be fun to tackle on a windy spring day. If you don’t own one, try making your own as a fun DIY activity. Find a good open park, and let it fly!

5. Draw with Chalk

It’s the perfect time to get out the chalk and create some art on sidewalks! It is fun to do with some friends, and can even be a de-stressing activity — plus, it might make someone else’s day to see some cute drawings on the sidewalk. Take a break from your schoolwork and enjoy the nice weather with some fun art.

6. Neighborhood Cleanup

Spring is a great time to work on cleaning up the neighborhood and surrounding community. Bring a trash bag and some gloves when going on a simple walk, and there you have it — a fun outdoor activity that also benefits the environment. When the snow melts, there can be lots of litter that appears on the side of the streets. You can help out the neighborhood by picking it up while enjoying the springtime weather at the same time.

7. Take Pictures

As grass starts turning green and leaves start forming, it can be a perfect time to go out for a photoshoot. Whether you have a Nikon or simply your phone, it’s always exciting to capture a moment you want to remember. You can take advantage of the spring blossoms, or even show off a new spring outfit in a portrait shot.

8. Do Homework

Sometimes people think that if they have a lot of work to do it means they don’t have time to spend enjoying the nice weather. While it doesn’t work for everyone, it can be fulfilling to do both at the same time. Try a bench, an outdoor table on campus, or a blanket on the grass. You can get productive while also soaking up the vitamin D!

These are only a couple of the activities you can do outside as it warms up! Remember that being outside can lift your mood and make your day a lot better. Try some of these fun activities to appreciate the weather and be grateful that spring has finally decided to come!

Emma Harrington is a first year at Hamline University studying English and Creative Writing. Besides writing, she enjoys singing in the A Capella Choir, dancing, running, and being outdoors.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University