sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Candy Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Now that everyone is officially in the Halloween spirit, it’s time to talk about the thing that almost every Halloween activity has in common: candy! Even the most basic Halloween parties have a bowl of candy sitting out. There are so many great ones that we all remember from our childhoods, but I’m going to review a few that stick out in my mind from my days of trick-or-treating.

1. Kit Kats

Kit Kat bars come in at number one on my list of classic Halloween candy because that’s just it: they’re classic. Nothing beats the crunch of a Kit Kat, plus they come sectioned off in pieces so it feels like you’re getting more bang for your buck. The fun-size Kit Kats are pretty great on their own, but if you happened upon a house that was giving out king-size bars, you stumbled upon gold my friend. 

2. Nerds

The second place ranking has to go to Nerds for me. I love the texture and flavor of them , plus they satisfy both my sour and sweet cravings depending on the different kinds you get. Another thing I always loved was the packaging that Nerds come in. I for one would always just rip the little sides off the box and go to town.

3. Reese’s

Reese’s peanut butter cups are definitely my third choice. They’re salty, sweet, and everything you could want in a candy. Plus, I love peanut butter so they hold a special place in my heart. 

4. M&Ms

M&Ms are one of the most popular Halloween candies, and they come in a lot of different varieties, which is great if you get sick of eating the same thing over and over again. My favorite kind has to be peanut butter M&Ms.

5. Tootsie Rolls

A lot of people might think I’m a little weird for this, but I loved getting Tootsie Rolls when trick-or-treating. The little ones are perfect for when you’re craving a little bit of chocolate, but don’t want to commit to eating a whole candy bar! Plus, the fact that they are chewy just makes them even better for me because I love the texture.

6. Hershey’s Bars

Hershey’s Bars are decent, but the problem is they are just plain chocolate. Sometimes, that’s all you need, but most of the time a little crunch or some saltiness really makes the candy worth it. I never complained about getting a Hershey’s Bar while trick-or-treating, but my hand always reached for something else first. 

7. Skittles

Skittles are another classic Halloween candy, but they aren’t necessarily my first choice. I do love sour Skittles, but the original flavors get a little boring after a while.

8. Pixie Stix

I have to give Pixie Stix the eighth place ranking because they are literally just sugar. Or at least they taste like 100% sugar to me. They’re not terrible, but if I got one now I’d probably hand it off to my little brother. 

9. Candy Corn

Candy Corn is probably one of the most debated candies out there. People either love them or hate Them. Personally, I think they’re garbage. I would always try and get my siblings to trade me some of their good candy for my Candy Corn when I was a kid, but that never really worked out. 

10. Butterfingers 

Butterfingers are definitely my least favorite Halloween candy. A lot of people think I’m crazy for this, but I can’t eat a Butterfinger without feeling sick. Why? Because when I was in elementary school I ate one too many after trick-or-treating and I puked everywhere. That was a low point for me, and to this day I absolutely despise Butterfingers.

Candy is definitely the best part of Halloween, and you can’t really go wrong when choosing which ones to eat at a party or at home while watching Halloween movies.

English major at Hamline University!
Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.