This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

The Ordinary offers skincare products that allow a new generation of consumers to understand ingredients while radically offering them in ridiculously cheap formulations. The brand champions transparency in an industry that wants you to think expensive products are inherently better, which is just not the case. 

Alongside the review today, I will be including what Dr. Shari Sperling has to say about The Ordinary. Dr. Sperling is a board-certified dermatologist specialized in medical, aesthetic, laser, and surgical dermatology. She is a fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and the Dermatology College of American Osteopathy, and a member of the New Jersey Dermatological Society and the Medical Association of America. Dr. Sperling has won two Doctors’ Choice Awards which is a recognition conferred by her colleagues. I trust Dr. Sperling to give professional insight on these popular products, and her reviews make me feel comfortable and excited to use them. 

The Ordinary has many products available, and they all work differently. The number of available products can be overwhelming and confusing, so this guide can come in handy navigating their selection. We all should take care of ourselves and our wallets, and treat our skin the best we can. This can be accomplished with affordable and effective products from The Ordinary. Here are my recommendations:

Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%

In case you are not familiar with Azelaic Acid, this is an exfoliating, skin lightening, and acne treatment. It is gentle and more gentle than other acids.  is very confident in the ingredient’s ability to brighten and smooth the skin, so Dr. Sperling recommends The Ordinary’s Azelaic Acid Suspension 10%. According to Dr. Sperling, this is the ideal dose for acne skin and sensitive skin with redness or rosacea. This product has a gel-like texture that is very easy to spread. If you use this before applying the cream step, it will effectively treat acne, as well as even skin tone, and smooth skin in a short time.

Salicylic Acid Masque

Among the acids, Salicylic Acid or BHA is always rated as the best in treating acne. The Ordinary Salicylic Acid Masque mask is formulated with 2% Salicylic Acid combined with activated carbon and clay to effectively cleanse pores and purify the skin. Dr. Sperling commented that this is the perfect mask for acne skin as it both frees pores from the “obstacles” while smoothing the skin and resolving dull skin.

Hyaluronic Acid 2%

Dr. Sperling is a fan of The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% serum because it combines small, medium, and large amounts of Hyaluronic Acid to help moisturize multiple layers of the skin, providing an optimal moisturizing effect. In addition, its ingredients also contain B5, which helps to nourish the skin. Dr. Sperling considers this product to be one of the best moisturizing serums.

Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Dr. Sperling highly recommends the combination of Vitamin C and Hyaluronic Acid in this serum. If Vitamin C is a famous antioxidant that protects the skin from the elements that cause aging from the outside environment. Hyaluronic Acid is unbeatable in terms of moisture supply to the skin. The dual-action formula creates a combo that nourishes and protects skin and helps maintain moisturized, youthful skin. Dr. Sperling recommends using this product in the morning, before applying sunscreen to enhance skin protection.

Mandelic Acid 10% HA

The price is extremely affordable, and the product is very close to the professional chemical skin peel service performed by a dermatologist. “This product has a similar ingredient to skin peel products that dermatologists use to brighten skin. We call it red carpet skin peeling because it reduces redness and lightens the skin only after a few days,” said Dr. Sperling. The product contains Mandelic Acid at a concentration of 10%, but this skin peel is suitable for all skin types thanks to the addition of Hyaluronic Acid to minimize irritation. However, you should still be cautious if your skin is sensitive.

Mien Le

Hamline '23

I'm from Vietnam. It means I am Hamline's international student. My major is Communication but I enjoy reading and writing the newspaper. I am a talkative person and I would be happy if you read my articles and discuss them with me. I love taking photos, singing, and dancing. Feel free to contact me!!
Kat McCullum

Hamline '21

English major with Creative Writing tendencies