DC Has Finally Found Success Where Marvel Has Yet To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Ever since the creation of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), it seems that, at least mainstream wise, Marvel has been dominating over DC. And whatever progress DC makes (they have a well established “Arrowverse” on the CW network as well as a few other shows) Marvel is right there with them (Marvel expands the MCU on Netflix with The Defenders).

DC is, however, starting up their own subscription service featuring old shows, original content (like a live action rated-M Teen Titans coming in October), and even comics. While exciting, this is not the topic of this piece.

What I think is a more unique and strategic jump for DC, is their jump into books. Yes, you heard me. Books.

Now, novelizations aren’t new, but the DC series “DC Icons” is. That’s because these books aren’t simply novelizations. DC found established, well-known authors (Leigh Bardugo, Marie Lu, Sarah J Maas so far) and let them put their own spins on the origin stories of some of your favorite heroes. So far, DC Icons have released Wonder Woman, Batman, and as of this past month, Catwoman. There is additionally a Superman novel on the way.

Now, I love Wonder Woman and I love Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows, check it out), and yet even I was still unsure as to how comic superheroes would play out in a novel. The answer: amazing.

I’ve yet to read Maas’s Catwoman (although it’s sitting next to me, begging to be read as I type this), but both Bardugo and Lu put their own spins on their well known heroes. Bardugo wasn’t interested in writing about Diana leaving her island for a man, and so had her leave to help a female friend with a particular curse. Lu, meanwhile, introduced a young Bruce Wayne into the world of heroism through his romantic interest (or perhaps ‘confusion’ is a better word) of one particular crazy female inmate at Arkham asylum (no not that one, or that one either. She’s an original character) that Bruce meets while serving court mandated community service.

Unfortunately, you won’t see either character don their costume or fully take up their mantel, but you see a new kind of beginning for these characters. Not so much origin as pre-origin. At the end of their novels, both Diana and Bruce have a better understanding of who they are, and what this world may ask of them in the future.

These stories are great for the modern superhero fans who have never quite gotten the hang of, or their hands on, comics. The novel format might be more accessible and gives the feel of movies to those who are so desperate for content they’re willing (or wanting) to read a book rather than watch a movie.

Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University