absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Creative Writing Degree Revamp

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

The creative writing department is going through some big changes along with many of the other departments at Hamline. Whether  you’re in the know or not, it can be challenging to figure out what classes you need especially if you haven’t declared your major yet and don’t have an advisor in that department. None of the changes to the creative writing degree are up online or on pipeline now, but don’t worry I’ll break it down for you.

Intro to Creative Writing is going to be no more:

A class that was meant for non creative writing majors, as to keep Creating Across Genres (the gateway course into the major) exclusive to creative writing majors, won’t be offered. The class used to be offered with a three-hour lab once a week with the hour-long classes. Now with the new changes, Creating Across Genres will be called Introduction to Creative Writing (WRIT 1500). There will be no three-hour lab in this new class and will be structured like Creating Across Genres. Non-majors can now take it to get the taste for the major.  

Forms and Elements will be combined:

What used to be offered as two separate classes as Forms and Elements one and two in either fiction, nonfiction (CNF) or poetry depending on what track you wanted to be on, will now merge into one class so both one and two will be taken as one class in one semester. This allows students to take more workshops, which we will talk about next, and get the full aspect of the craft. Students will have to take two Forms and Elements classes to complete their major: one in their desired track (fiction, CNF and poetry) and one in another desired section. This will allow for students who wish to study abroad or who came into the major late to have an easier time completing Forms and Elements and completing the major on time. Forms and Elements in poetry will not be offered Fall 2018, but will be offered in the spring, along with Fiction again, since fiction is one of the most popular tracks majors take. For those who have already taken Forms and Elements one and two as two separate classes can have their Forms and Elements two count for one of their workshop requirements, so they will only have to take two workshops.

Students will now have to take workshops:

Students will have to take three workshops now. These classes will force students to write more in class and gain more practice with their craft. Professors were finding that there wasn’t enough writing going on in class and wished for students to be able to hone their writing more. Three workshops will have to be taken in fiction, CNF and poetry.

Advanced classes have been cut along with one 3000 class:

Advanced fiction, CNF and poetry have been cut to make way for the workshops. Along with that students will only have to take one over 3000 elective. LEAP requirements are being left the same. This can be fulfilled with an internship, or Runestone: Introduction to Literary Publishing, a class which will be offered fall 2018.

For those who aren’t on the creative writing email, here is the class schedule as of Apr. 2 for fall 2018.

Monday

6:00-9:00 pm

WRIT 3980-01  Multi-Genre Topics: Ekphrasic Writing (Chris Martin)

Tuesday

9:40-11:10 am

WRIT 1500-01 Introduction to Creative Writing (John Colburn)

WRIT 3130  Forms & Elements of the Craft: CNF (Pat Francisco)

12:50-2:20 pm

WRIT 3520  Fiction Workshop (Peter Geye)

2:30-4:00 pm

WRIT 1500 02  Introduction to Creative Writing (Carolyn Holbrook)

WRIT 1500 03  Introduction to Creative Writing (Pat Francisco)

WRIT 3120  Forms & Elements of the Craft: Fiction (Sheila O’Connor)

6:00-9:00 pm

WRIT 3510  Poetry Workshop (Sun-Yung Shin)

WRIT 3980-02  Exercises in Style 3980 02 (Richard Pelster-Wiebe)

Thursday

9:40-11:10 am

12:50-2:20 pm

2:30-4:00 pm

WRIT 1500-02  Introduction to Creative Writing (Carolyn Holbrook)

WRIT 1500-03  Introduction to Creative Writing (Pat Francisco)

6:00-9:00 pm

WRIT 3410, 3420, 3430  Runestone: Introduction to Literary Publishing (Gretchen Marquette)

Overall the changes that the creative writing department have made to their major make sense and even out so that students will have to take the same amount of classes as they did previously. The adjustment may seem jarring, but as it is shaping out it looks like it’ll be for the better for those in the major now and in the future.  

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.