Cheese, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, and…pineapple?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Pineapple on pizza: “the greatest innovation known to mankind” or “an unholy abomination.” Which is it?

The question of whether or not pineapple is an acceptable topping on pizza is a topic that almost anyone has an opinion on. This is most plainly illustrated if one were to scroll through social media outlets such as Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr. The subject is as hotly debated as politics and the majority of individuals feel that by no means should a pineapple chunk ever be allowed to grace the top of a pizza.

However, in the real world, or more specifically, on the campus of Hamline University, the most prevalent opinions seem to contradict those of social media. In fact many students and other semi-affiliated individuals find it quite tasty.

Or are simply ambivalent to the idea; separate components are tasty, but when combined the result is neither a horrific assault on the taste buds, nor a soul-cleansing experience.   

I, personally, ascribe to this opinion. I don’t believe pineapple on pizza is absolutely delicious but if that’s the only pizza offered, I’ll take a slice.

Ashley Hoefker, a junior, expressed much of the same view, “I mean, it’s good, but it’s not my favorite.” She says she would much rather eat the classics like plain cheese or pepperoni, but in a pinch, pineapple on pizza never killed anybody.

Calysta Dresselhaus, a sophmore and Alexa Begunl, also a sophomore, would both beg to differ. Neither of them would eat pineapple on pizza but for more tangible reasons then simply topping semantics. The two of them, unfortunately, are severely allergic to pineapple and would rather skip the tangy, yellow fruit all together. Thus avoiding a day completely ruined by anaphylactic shock.

The number of individuals that wholeheartedly agree with pineapple on pizza far outnumber those who disagree, even including those who beg the excuse of allergies. Out of the thirty five people asked, over half of them expressed a positive opinion. One man, simply visiting the campus, even went as far to say that it was, “Awesome! The greatest thing since sliced pizza.”

Joe Davidson, a senior, said more simply, “I understand a lot of people don’t like it, but I do, it’s really good.”

Ikram Mohumud, a senior, said that it “makes my insides happy.” With this in mind, could we really ask for anything more from some fruit, carbs, and cheese?

Don’t be fooled, there are still plenty of individuals who, on a good day, see pineapple on pizza as nothing short of  unsanctimonious. Point in case, according to Christian Samson, a junior, “it’s an unholy abomination.”

Or as Jace Manthe, a graduate student, phrased it (with an illusion to Sponge Bob Square Pants), “Pineapples are houses for sponges, not pizza toppings.”

But the most simple remark was a “hell no” said  by Zach Carson, a senior. Other less verbally colorful individuals plainly state that they didn’t like pineapple on pizza, and that was the extent of their opinions.

What seems to be a most curious facet of this conversation are the lack of reasons as to why some people dislike this particular topping. Some cite that it is because they don’t like it, the flavour combination just doesn’t work for them. Such as Caitlin Tighe, a sophmore, who said, “you don’t put sweet with pizza, you just don’t. Only meat or cheese.”

Others seemed to cite the same reason of dislike for the flavour but added a heated line of contempt of pineapple on pizza. This perhaps stems from the fact the pineapple on pizza is considered to be an unconventional topping and anything as daring and audacious as placing fruit on such a converted and beloved dish is expected to meet

high expectations. And when the taste is not all that was imagined and more, the individual is transformed into a naysayer and thus cannot tolerate such a fruit to exist atop a pizza. Yet, alas, this is purely speculation, and the world may never know the true reasoning behind such contempt.

All in all, it seems pineapple on pizza will remain an unresolved topic. Perhaps this is a good thing because, heaven knows in this day and age we don’t have enough to argue about?

I am a native of Houston Texas pursuing a Creative Writing degree at Hamline University. Aside from writing I am passionate about music, literature, and traveling.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University