alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Black History Month is the one time of year where black people can (mostly) celebrate ourselves, our history, and our culture unapologetically. Sorely lacking in the media and film is the representation of black people. Because the media has such a large impact on society’s overall perception of a group of people, representation makes a huge difference in even the way certain individuals see themselves. When black people are only the supporting characters to the “white hero,” the funny friend, or the villain, that sends the message that black folks have less value than white folks. Without positive representation, children of color growing up can have a harder time forming a complete and true identity of self. The amazing success of Black Panther, a story celebrating African history, culture and pride, has brought to light the much needed positive representation for black people; it has proved to be a major connecting experience for all who see it. For these last few days of Black History Month, make sure to seek out media that highlights our strengths, not our propagated weaknesses. Here are some wonderful films that do just this!

Black Panther:

Don’t be the only one who doesn’t see this incredible story, filled with femme power, black love, action and heartbreak. Originally a Marvel Comic written by Stan Lee in 1966, Black Panther was adopted by black director Ryan Coogler, and modernized to speak to racism and accountability from the 1980s in Oakland, California, to today. Wakanda, a fantasy African country, keeps secret their immense power in order to keep alive their country and culture. Black Panther is one of the few superheroes of color, which is pretty messed up. Black people are superheroes! They’ve done so much for this country and should be celebrated as such.

Get Out:

Get Out came out during last year’s Black History Month, and was another win for positive representation for black Americans. A thrilling story about a black man who goes to visit his white girlfriend’s family, this movie will literally leave you shook. With so much slavery history and culture portrayed, this movie is a much needed look at America’s history that is usually swept under the rug. It is a must see.

Beasts of the Southern Wild:

This beautiful independent movie stars Quvenzhané Wallis. At just six years old she was one of the youngest people nominated for an Academy Award for this film. Set in a bayou community in Louisiana, and cut off from the rest of the world, six year old Hushpuppy (Wallis) and her father struggle to survive once a hurricane hits. Though just a little girl, Hushpuppy exudes black girl magic and strength as she fights for herself, her family and what she believes in.

Daughters of the Dust:

Made in the early 1990s, Daughters of the Dust is set in 1902 and tells the story of a matriarchal West African Gullah community whose enslaved ancestors were brought to South Carolina. It follows three generations of Gullah women who prepare to move to the north. The first feature film written and directed by a black woman that was distributed in US theaters, Daughters of the Dust is a remarkable and femme powerful must see.

The Color of Friendship:

This Disney Channel Original will have you caught up in nostalgic feels. Set in 1977, this woke Disney film follows a black high school girl who convinces her congressman father to house an exchange student from South Africa. Little did they know the exchange student would be a white girl whose family supports the apartheid. A telling story of challenging stereotypes, differences, and acceptance, The Color of Friendship is a Black History Month must watch.

Grab some snacks, your best friends, and enjoy the black excellence of these historic films!

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.