Bad Habits at Movie Theaters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Do you enjoy going to the movies, but hate dealing with irritating people? Below is a list of bad habits people exhibit at movie theaters.  

Using your phone:

Are you someone who cannot put their phone down? If you want to go to a movie in theaters, you may want to consider leaving it at home instead. Although there are enough  “No phones” signs in theaters, people can’t resist trying to sneak texting throughout the movie. For others, it is very annoying to see a constant light in the corner of their eyes, especially while  trying to focus on the big screen. Also, there is nothing worse when people try to talk on the phone during a movie. If you need to make a call, please leave the theater beforehand to avoid pissing off a lot of people.

Laughing too loudly:

Yes, movies can be funny, but there is a point where some people’s laughs start to become obnoxious. By no means do you have to be completely silent during the movie, showing no emotion, but try to keep it more to yourself. It is very annoying to others if there is someone who is constantly laughing as loud as they can at every remotely “funny” comment. Do everyone a favor and watch how loud you are.

Talking during the movie:

There is absolutely nothing worse than overhearing people’s conversations during a movie. If you are someone who is constantly asking “What just happened?”, “Who is that?” or “How much time is left?” the movie theater may not be the best place for you. It’s distracting to others when you are asking questions throughout the whole movie. Additionally, if you are someone who cannot sit in silence, movie theaters are the last place you want to be in. We all know that one friend who cannot shut up to save their lives. Do yourselves both a favor and stay at home when watching movies.  

Spending too much money:

With the movies, comes the popcorn and arcade games. Yes, concession snacks are great, but try to do your body and wallet a favor by limiting yourself to one snack. Although the arcade games may catch your eye, you are going to regret it if you get sucked in to keep playing until you win. If you are a very competitive person, you may want to skip the games altogether, you’ll thank me later.

Getting up during a dramatic scene:

FINALLY, here comes the big kiss! Only to have your view altered by the person standing up in front of you to leave right during it. If you have to go to the bathroom or grab something to eat, please be aware of what is happening during the movie and try your best to not disturb others. Just because  you aren’t into the movie, that doesn’t mean others aren’t. If you need to leave, please do so quickly and quietly, oh and maybe not during a major kissing scene.

You won’t always have a negative experience at the movie theater, but after reading this list, hopefully you are aware of your actions. Hopefully you have an annoying free movie experience!

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.