Three Ways to Stay in Shape Without Going to the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Are you bummed that the gym is closed this week during fall break? Do you hate going to the gym and need an alternative way to relieve stress? You don’t have to settle for being unfit just because you can’t go to the gym. Here are three ways you can stay fit to fight off the stress of midterms and homework:

1. Download the Nike Training Club App on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad.

This app is your own personal trainer that offers beginner, intermediate, and advanced workouts. You can choose between getting lean, toned, strong, or focused, each program targeting different areas of your body. Although the app suggests you use some equipment such as medicine balls and free weights, they are definitely not required. The app provides video instructions of different exercises so you can do them properly and get the most out of your workout. BONUS: It tracks the number of hours you’ve worked out and gives you extra workouts instructed by Olympic athletes.

2. Utilize the resources on Hamilton’s Campus

The great part about getting a good cardio work out is that the only equipment you need are your legs. Jogging is the one of the simplest ways to get some cardio exercise done, and all you need are some comfortable shoes and your feet. Try running/jogging on the loop near G-Road or using the indoor and outdoor track.

Hamilton has numerous facilities that give students the chance to exercise in different ways, so use them! If jogging isn’t your thing, then you can always swim some laps in the swimming pool or use the squash, tennis, and/or basketball courts for a quick pick-up game or match. 

3. Find a friend who owns Insanity

This exercise video offers the most intense cardio workouts available. These workouts are for people who like to take on a challenge and can keep up with intermediate to advanced exercises. Personal Trainer, Shawn T and his team will keep you motivated from start to finish.

As a 20 year-old student at Hamilton College, Morgan is a Communications major and a Women's Studies minor who is hoping to pursure a career in marketing and sales. Born and raised in sunny Miami, FL, Morgan loves any sport that involves water. After working for a PR firm in Miami, she realizes her passion for creative writing and advertising. In her free time, Morgan serves as sister acitivies chair for her sorority Gamma Xi, is on studnet assembly as a class representitive and plays on the boys club water polo team.
-