Student Assembly Elections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

With all the posters in Commons, chalk on Martin’s Way, and mass fliers and posters, it’s hard to ignore campaign season on the Hill. Last year, students questioned the lack of participation in the election as Anthony Jackson and Sarah Larson ran uncontested for the roles of President and Vice President of Student Assembly. With their term now up, this year marks the first in five years that more than two parties are running. The three parties on the ballot include sophomores and juniors who bring different experiences and passions to the platform, all hoping to be a voice for Hamilton’s student body.

Current sophomore class representatives Lia Parker-Belfer (running for President) and Ryan Ong (running for Vice President) are up against two groups of juniors. Of the competition, Lia explains, “Ryan and I believe we are the best candidates for the positions of Student Assembly President and VP because we have extensive experience working on SA and working together. We have a vision of where SA should go that would enhance the experience of the student body while simultaneously making the assembly function more smoothly as an effective governing body. Vote for us because we are “running” for you! Make sure to check out our fun flyer!”

Juniors Daniela Manzi and Teresa Viteri come to the competition with years of experience in Student Assembly snd a desire to be a liaison between the student body and the administration. “Teresa and I are running for President and VP because we believe that we can make a lot of positive changes for Hamilton, ”explains Daniela. “Unlike our opponents, we’ve held different positions within Student Assembly and therefore can each bring a unique perspective to the table.  We’ve worked with each other countless times in the past and know that together we could get the job done efficiently and creatively.”

Fellow junior presidential candidate Catie Cooper is a current representative on Student Assembly and is running with Sarah Izzo, also a member of the class 2015. Of the campaign, Catie says, “If elected, our focus will be on best representing all of you. We want everyone to feel as if they have a voice within the Hamilton community, and we won’t stop until we have accomplished that goal. Remember, a vote for us is a vote for you! “

Because the winning ticket must have 40% or more of the votes in order to be declared a winner, voting is more important this year than ever before. If the vote is split and none of the parties receive 40%, there will be a run-off election early on during finals week. Your opinion counts, and every Hamilton student can vote! 

Be sure to go online and vote December 12th and 13th to make sure your voice is heard!