Loog Good, Feel Good: The Best Styles to Wear Before Fall Truly Begins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Like a pesky news report popping up at the best part of a prime time TV show, summer seems to have decided to interrupt one of the most popular seasons of the year: fall. And just like the feeling of frustration that comes with seeing a disgruntled news reporter on the screen instead of this year’s bachelorettes, there is a highly understandable agitation amongst many college students over summer heat rudely bleeding into fall months.

The extension of summer heat inconveniently delays the amenities of fall: the warm, vibrant colors of fall leaves cloaking the ground; warm, steamy drinks; and the weather that makes fall so appealing. But perhaps the biggest delay is the delay of fall fashion! And this, of course, is a problem in and of itself because now we have the perpetuation of that god-awful time of year when it might be chilly in the morning and blazing in the afternoon. Planning outfits becomes that much more difficult, because the dilemma of sacrificing style for comfort is just too much to think about in the early hours of the morning.

Hopefully, these little style tips will help you overcome this stressful time and look great while anticipating the far more fashion-forward months of fall.

1. First tip is to do what I call “layering,” but not in the sense that you prepare for a hike up Mount Everest; instead layer your “summer” clothes with your “fall” clothes. For example, wear some jeans with a tank top, or maybe a long sleeve with some jeans shorts. The objective is to balance out the amount of warm clothes you have on with the cool clothes so that you have a comfortable balance in the middle. Ripped jeans are good too because you get a little more breathability – plus they add a little more style to your overall look.

2. Another tip that may be useful is to remember that hats and hoods are your friends. This awkward summer-fall weather tends to follow the pattern of cold mornings and hot afternoons, so hats and hoods are good in that they keep you warm in the chilly mornings, and you can take them off if you get too hot in the afternoon. Hats are actually great because they’ll be good at shading you if the afternoon gets super sunny (if you’re worried about hat hair, putting your hair up in a cute bun or something will hide all the evidence. Trust me).

3. The third tip I can offer is to simply wear what you want. We all know that saying, “you gotta look good to feel good.” Although it may sound commonplace, this quote is actually quite insightful. After all, looking good and feeling good is all that planning outfits are ever planned for, right?

That being said, ladies, if you have a bomb outfit planned, wear it. Because we all know when a woman has confidence, nothing can stand in her way, not even some trippy, cold-hot weather.

So take these tips in stride and pop out for these last few weeks of “summer.” Look good, feel good, and enjoy as you prepare for Uggs season! 

Kayla White

Hamilton '21

A recent Hamilton grad from Jersey! Write on.
Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.