Hey Macklemore, Can You Come to Hamilton?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Rumors have been floating around for a few months regarding the Class and Charter Day concert. We heard Macklemore was coming, then we heard that he wasn’t, and the April Fool’s Day joke of Asher Roth definitely stirred the pot as well. Now we can all stop stressing and worrying that Colgate stole him, as it has been officially announced that Macklemore will headline this years Class and Charter Day concert- GET PUMPED (seriously). I for one think that Macklemore is a great choice. He has been known to put on a great show (anyone see him at Lollapalooza?) and I think his style of music and his vibe will be perfect for the energy and enthusiasm on C&C. In honor of the official announcement that Macklemore will be performing, here are ten fun facts about Macklemore and the five top Macklemore songs that you should listen to before the concert (so that you know a few more than just Thrift Shop). Get excited for a great Class and Charter concert! Remember that the concert is still on Friday, but the awards ceremony will be on Monday. Be sure to check out Neon Hitch and Compson Sound too before May 10th!

10 Fun Facts About Macklemore:

1) His real name is Ben Haggerty.
2) His former stage name was Professor Macklemore.
3) He was born and raised in Seattle, Washington.
4) Macklemore started writing lyrics when he was fourteen.
5) He has two siblings.
6) He is in favor and a strong supporter of gay marriage (check out the song Same Love!).
7) His music video “Thrift Shop” has been viewed on YouTube more than 200 million times, and reached number 1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, selling more than 2.2 million copies.
8) The Heist was released independently on his own label. 
9) Macklemore works with Ryan Lewis as a title-credited duo.
10) He got engaged to his girlfriend of seven years in January- sorry to everyone whose hopes were just crushed. Maybe we can still party with him after the show?

5 Best Macklemore Songs (that you should definitely listen to before the concert):

5) And We Danced
4) Ten Thousand Hours
3) A Wake
2) Thin Line
1) Same Love

Now that you’ve got the lyrics down, just be sure to grab your shorts, sunglasses, and tequilia sunrise ingredients in preparation for C&C 2013!  

Emily Malter is a sophomore at Hamilton College majoring in Sociology and World Politics. Emily is from Westchester, New York.
Courtney is a sophomore at Hamilton College who is majoring Psychology and minoring in Sociology and Spanish. She enjoys tour guiding, writing, and living on the dark side.