The Gold-Medal Ways You and Your Friends Can Watch the 2014 Sochi Olympics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

The Opening Ceremonies have finished, and you and your friends are now more excited than ever to sit in front of the closest television and watch the 2014 Winter Olympic Games. But, let’s be real—just watching TV can get a little boring. Don’t let the cold weather and schoolwork put a damper on your fun.  Here are some ways to turn watching the Olympic events from a way to kill time to a way to have a blast with your friends!

Go big on Red, White & Blue—have everyone dress in our nation’s colors to support Team USA.  Bonus points if you find another ways to show your spirit (e.g., colored desserts)

Play the “Beer Olympics” Drinking Game.  Just save energy to actually watch the games!

Leave chips and wings for the Super Bowl.  For appetizers, play up the Olympics theme by making torches out of popcorn and ice cream cones (à la asmallsnippet.blogspot.com) Go “ethic” with the food.  Order take-out, or if you’re feeling bold, whip up some great recipes from foodnetwork.com that feature a vast array of countries participating in the games.

Party like you’re in Russia with these Russia-inspired drink recipes

Vanilla Winter White Russian: 2 oz. vanilla flavored vodka
2 oz. Kahlua coffee-flavored liqueur
2 oz. Irish cream liqueur
2 small scoops vanilla ice cream
5 oz. half-n-half

In a pitcher, pour the vodka, Kahlua, Irish cream, and half-n-half, and stir. 
Place a small scoop of ice cream in the bottom of each highball glass and then pour the mixture over the top. Makes 2.

Russian Martini:
2 oz. vodka 
2 oz. gin 
1/2 oz. white chocolate liquer

Shake with cracked ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

The Olympic: 1 1/2 oz. brandy
1/4 oz. triple sec
3/4 oz. orange juice
Dash of lemon juice. Shaken over ice and serve in a cocktail glass.

Make bets and brackets for which athlete/country will win each event.

Go for Gold yourself!  If you’re daring, go outside and compete against each other in whichever sport you choose…But if you’re looking for a safer (i.e., warmer) option, get together and play Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games!

Have fun, and GO TEAM USA!

Sources:

asmallsnippet.blogspot.com

http://www.chiff.com/a/olympics-party-ideas.htm

Kaitlin is an English and Art History double-major at Hamilton College.