CAB Acoustic Coffee House: Deer Tick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

As another week passes by, the events barn has seen the end of another CAB Acoustic Coffee House. Occurring on a near bi-weekly basis, the acoustic coffee houses are one of the best ways to wind down after a long week of classes. This week’s coffee house, on Thursday, February 26th, featured John McCauley from Deer Tick, and Keenan O’Meara as the opener.

Between singing original songs and covers, O’Meara’s commentary automatically endeared him to his audience. After telling of his tumultuous experience with a record label, the singer-song-writer from NYC announced that he would be self-releasing his album in the near future, bringing supportive applause from the audience.  

Called a legend by his opener Keenan O’Meara, John McCauley, one of the lead singers of the band Deer Tick, did not disappoint his audience at the acoustic house, many of whom knew and requested his songs.  Playing a set that lasted a little over an hour, McCauley interspersed his performances with anecdotes about the origins of his songs – one being written about oral sex and another about a bar tender he once believed himself to love. The night ended on a high note since McCauley saved his most requested songs until the end. The audience left the events barn full of good music and good food, and was hopefully distressed enough to make it through one more day until the weekend. 

Laura is a sophomore at Hamilton College in the class of '17. She is Comparative Literature Major, who will be going abroad to Paris for her junior year. She is an avid baker and jewelry maker.