Anthony Mathieu ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Name: Anthony Mathieu

Class Year: 2012

Major: Government

Hometown: Boston, MA

You’ve been out of Hamilton for a year and a half now- what have you been up to?

Since graduating from Hamilton, I’ve earned a Master’s in Secondary Education and I am now teaching 7th grade Humanities at Boston Latin Academy. 

Tell us a little bit about your work and passion for music. How did you first become involved in producing music at Hamilton?
I started doing music in 7th grade and was on the fence about continuing once I was accepted to Hamilton. Fortunately, a member of my Posse (Kadahj Bennett) was also doing music at the time and got me into recording. We recorded a few songs in his Wertimer double once we got to campus. Little did I realize these would be the initial recording sessions for my first album, Theory of Mind

Do you have one big inspiration for songwriting? How do you write most of your songs?
My biggest inspiration for songwriting comes from other people’s perspectives, most notably those that are outside of the mainstream of Hip-Hop music right now. For example, “That Chick At The Party” from Theory of Mind flips the generic party record theme and illustrates the experience of a guy who goes out one night but has a pretty bad time due to the stand-offish personality of a woman he’s interested in. 

Your new album, COCKTALE, was just released! How can we download and listen to it?

On this site, you can actually name your own price for the album. So you can download it for free or make a small contribution to the project. Those who purchase the album for $2 or more will receive a free physical copy ofCOCKTALE

What has been your favorite experience performing thus far in your career?
I’ve had some great experiences on stage in the last five years but my favorite shows have been:
  • Performing with the DownBeat Keys at George Washington University in 2010
  • Performing with the DownBeat Keys at the Class & Charter Day Concert in 2012
  • Performing solo at “The Cypher” in the Annex this past February 

Can we expect you back on the Hill any time soon? 
Very soon actually. I’m performing at an event called “Chasing Bliss” hosted by BLSU in the Events Barn Nov. 16. And if any org is willing to host, I’d love to come back in the Spring. 

What advice would you give to Hamilton students as an alum looking back on his own 4 years? 
Take advantage of the resources you have on the Hill. The only reason I can continue doing music today is because of what I learned while on campus. Use Student Activities, the Print Shop, your academic courses, and social networks to pursue whatever you’re passionate about, even if it’s on a small scale. 

Courtney is a sophomore at Hamilton College who is majoring Psychology and minoring in Sociology and Spanish. She enjoys tour guiding, writing, and living on the dark side.