5 Things You Need to Survive Your Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Oh, Aunt Flo: everybody’s least favorite relative who comes to visit us once a month. She’s usually a real pain, and we need everything we can to survive her monthly terrorization of our bodies. So, without further ado, here are five essentials for surviving your period:

1. Dark chocolate

Unlike other candies that we may feel compelled to eat, dark chocolate actually has a surprising number of health benefits, like improving your skin, and it may actually aid in weight loss as well. And, most importantly, it’s delicious and satisfies those cravings we all get.

2. A heated blanket or a heating pad

When cramps hit, a heated blanket or heating pad can definitely help lessen the pain. They’re worth the investment!

3. Warm tea with honey

If you’re like me, and need your caffeine fix every morning, this one is especially for you. Coffee can be harsh on your stomach, so a cup of caffeinated tea (I usually go for green tea) with a dash of honey in the morning will wake you up in a way that is gentle on your body.

4. Enough sleep

In the time when our bodies are going through a great deal of stress, we need to get as much sleep as we can. Obviously, this isn’t always possible, but taking a nap or two can never hurt.

5. Confidence

Remember this: You are a warrior. An amazing, kick-ass warrior whose body is capable of incredible things. Even if you feel awful, as many of us do, always remember inside yourself that you are more powerful than you feel in this moment. 

Heather is a sophomore at Hamilton College who plans to major in English. She is a pescetarian who is afraid of spiders, hates mayonnaise, and loves traveling and spending time with friends and family.
Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.